• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Explosion-Statute of Limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktee233

What is the name of your state? Idaho
In May 2002 a friend at the time blew up our house she rented cooking meth in a pressure
cooker. My husband went to federal prison for a Misprision of Felony (knowing about a crime and not reporting it)for 33 months. She was never charged or even arrested for the crime. There was almost $10,000 worth of damage. My husband just got out of prison and wants to sue her for all the damage. Can we sue her separately for the damage to the stove, microwave, then the countertops, sheet rock, etc. The limit is $4,000 so to get all the money, can we sue for each thing ruined to get most the money back? She said she would pay for the damage when it happened but has not. I never sued her in small claims because I was not there at the time and he would be the witness to the damage and the only party to this lawsuit. Since my husband was incarcerated, does the limitations begin in May 2002 and how many years do we have to file a lawsuit, or are we out of luck? Thank you in advance for any information you can give me and/or what you would recommend.
Sincerely,
Karen

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

In May 2002 a friend at the time blew up our house cooking meth in a pressure
cooker. My husband went to federal prison for a Misprison of a Felony (knowing about a crime and not reporting it)for 33 months. She was never charged or even arrested for the crime. There was almost $10,000 worth of damage. My husband just got out of prison and wants to sue her for all the damage. Can we sue her separately for the damage to the stove, microwave, then the countertops, sheet rock, etc. The limit is $4,000 so to get all the money, can we sue for each thing ruined to get most the money back? She said she would pay for the damage when it happened but has not. I never sued her in small claims because I was not there at the time and he would be the witness and a party to this lawsuit. Since my husband was incarcerated, does the limitations begin in May 2002 and how many years do we have to file a lawsuit, or are we out of luck? Thank you in advance for any information you can give me and/or what you would recommend.
Sincerely,
Karen

IAAL, where are you?!? I smell a winner for 2005!

stevek3

ktee233 said:
cooker. My husband went to federal prison for a Misprison of a Felony (knowing about a crime and not reporting it)for 33 months. She was never charged or even arrested for the crime. There was almost $10,000 worth of damage. My husband just got out of prison and wants to sue her for all the damage. Can we sue her separately for the damage to the stove, microwave, then the countertops, sheet rock, etc. The limit is $4,000 so to get all the money, can we sue for each thing ruined to get most the money back? She said she would pay for the damage when it happened but has not. I never sued her in small claims because I was not there at the time and he would be the witness and a party to this lawsuit. Since my husband was incarcerated, does the limitations begin in May 2002 and how many years do we have to file a lawsuit, or are we out of luck? Thank you in advance for any information you can give me and/or what you would recommend.
Sincerely,
Karen
Reminds of an episode when Bart played an April Fool's joke on Homer. Bart takes a six-pack of Homer's beer to the hardware store and puts it in one of those paint shakers. Bart takes the six-pack back home, puts it in the refrigerator, and then cranks up the thermostat. Homer gets hot and thirsty, drags his ass to the kitchen to open a cold beer, and the house explodes. Homer spends the rest of the episode laying in the hospital in a coma.

Are you sure you didn't just shake the guy's beer too hard?

racer72

1. You would have to sue for the whole amount at one time. Your bite size lawsuits, especially for the results of a single negiligent action, won't cut it.

2. If any of the homeowners knew of the illegal activity and did nothing to stop it, the homeowner is just as negligent as the druggie chef and the lawsuit will be tossed for lack of merit.

3. The SOL clock started the day of the big boom.

You Are Guilty

racer72 said:
2. If any of the homeowners knew of the illegal activity and did nothing to stop it, the homeowner is just as negligent as the druggie chef and the lawsuit will be tossed for lack of merit.
Uh, remember this part?
ktee233 said:
My husband went to federal prison for a Misprison of a Felony (knowing about a crime and not reporting it)for 33 months

Thank god meth hasn't made it way out here yet. We have enough idiots already. :rolleyes:

ktee233

Thank you for your response. I was sure that was the answer. Hopefully the first two idiot responses pay taxes because what you smell is your federal government at work for you. The feds were putting together the biggest drug bust in Idaho and indicted 30 people for conspiracy to manufacture 500 grams or more of meth, ecstasy, and cocaine. The grand jury even questioned the involvement of my husband but they could indict anyone for conspiracy. First of all, they indicted our son but later ammended it to my husband. Because they had NO evidence of ANY involvement or even that we as homeowners had any prior knowledge of the activities, his choice was plead quilty to the Misprision of Felony or go to trial against the Feds and face 10 years to life in prison and a 4k fine. We couldn't make any deal with them because we didn't know any drug dealers, or anything else except for what happened at our house, nor were we going to make undercover buys for them to catch the real criminal.

You Are Guilty

ktee233 said:
Thank you for your response. I was sure that was the answer. Hopefully the first two idiot responses pay taxes because what you smell is your federal government at work for you. The feds were putting together the biggest drug bust in Idaho and indicted 30 people for conspiracy to manufacture 500 grams or more of meth, ecstasy, and cocaine. The grand jury even questioned the involvement of my husband but they could indict anyone for conspiracy. First of all, they indicted our son but later ammended it to my husband. Because they had NO evidence of ANY involvement or even that we as homeowners had any prior knowledge of the activities, his choice was plead quilty to the Misprision of Felony or go to trial against the Feds and face 10 years to life in prison and a 4k fine. We couldn't make any deal with them because we didn't know any drug dealers, or anything else except for what happened at our house, nor were we going to make undercover buys for them to catch the real criminal.
Yeah, most innocent people prefer to go to jail for 33 months rather than force the Feds to actually prove the criminal charges being brought :rolleyes:

stevek3

ktee233 said:
Just like your husband, I've gone to prison quite a few times because of defective trick birthday candles they're always putting into my cake. Every birthday, every year. I try and try and try and try to blow them out, and then KABOOOOOOOM! But who's ever gonna believe me?

ktee233

Yeah, that's right. The feds couldn't prove he was quilty on the conspiracy charge and the "knowing about a crime but not reporting it" was after the fact. I am certain you would roll the dice with the feds and try to fight "conspiracy" (look it up) when the house you were renting out was blown up.
Our home was searched....they found nothing. I am also quite sure cops never lie and if this were your situation you would sing like a well fed song bird. ;)

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ktee233 said:
cooker. My husband went to federal prison for a Misprison of a Felony (knowing about a crime and not reporting it)for 33 months.

Sincerely,
Karen

My response:

Congratulations!

Your initial post (or, at least this portion of it) just became a Runner-Up in our end of the year, "Most Stupid Post" contest, being held on December 15, 2005. Unfortunately, all entries for the 2004 Most Stupid Post contest and competition were posted and locked on November 15, 2004 and the winner will be chosen by popular vote on December 15, 2004.

Thank you! Make sure to come back on December 15, 2005 to see if you're our Grand Prize winner!

Yes, believe it or not, you could be our Grand Prize winner! For further details, Rules, and Prize list, click on this link for more information:

http://petit.philou.free.fr/

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

You Are Guilty said:
IAAL, where are you?!?

MY RESPONSE: I'm right here! It may take me awhile to see all the "good" posts, but I'll get there eventually. Thanks for the tip to this one!

I smell a winner for 2005!

MY RESPONSE: Boy, you're not just "whistling Dixie" either! Must have blown the wheels right of the old trailer, too!

I'd say this one has an excellent chance for the "big money" in 2005. I can't believe it - - this post make 7 new "Most Stupid Posts" for 2005, and we're not even INTO 2005 yet!

I can't keep up. I'm drowning in the sheer stupidity from all of these writers. Help - - glug, glug, glug.

IAAL

ktee233

stevek3 said:
Just like your husband, I've gone to prison quite a few times

You are nothing like my husband.........he's only gone once and is already out. Do the math...........big boom May 2002. Didn't go to court til Aug. 2003, released Sept. 2004. All I was asking was statute of limitations, not a bunch of jokes about a serious situation and to let good people know what your federal government is capable of doing to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">