• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extortion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pamala1999

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have received letters from an old neighbor, who since finding out about my dad's death wants $10,000 from me. Eleven years ago when my dad was taken away in an abulance, my brother and I (12 and 13 years old at the time) stay at the neighbor's house 2 nights while my dad was in the hospital. At that time my dad was in the USAF and his commanding officer had put together a power of attorney for the neighbor not knowing how long my brother and I were going to stay with her. As I said we stayed for 2 nights, then my aunts came up from Texas. We lived in Maryland at the time this all took place. So now the old neighbor is trying to sue me and my brother for $10,000 stating she had power of attorney, and she cared for us for 2-3 years. My first question is can she sue a person who was a minor at the time? Can she sue out of state? She now lives in Penn. Can she sue a person after 11 years? Does she even have a case? I have the power of attoneys that were given to my aunts 1 week after we stayed at her house, doesn't that revoke her power of attorney? I know this can be a confusing case, I would appreciate any feed back.

BL

Write the Old neighbor and tell her/him they fell off the coo coo clocks nest , and to be evaluated for old timers ( Alzheimer's ) .

Also in that Letter ( return receipt Certified mail ) , demand that they cease and desist any and all contact with you .

pamala1999

When I said OLD, I did not mean old in the sense of age, I should have said previous neighbor. She is about Forty years old. What do I do if she sues?

panzertanker

pamala1999 said:
When I said OLD, I did not mean old in the sense of age, I should have said previous neighbor. She is about Forty years old. What do I do if she sues?
Tell her to jump in a lake.
She has no leg if the Aunt had POA, the neighbor is crap out of luck, and you should do as the Blonde Dude says, CRRR.

BL

pamala1999 said:
Still don't matter , they are coo coo and have lost their minds .

Ok so don't write those things in the return Receipt certified Letter , Just Demand they cease and desist all contact .

Then their only choice is to consult an Attorney ,or file suit , and I wouldn't worry beyond that . This is not a small claims issue .

pamala1999

Her last letter stated that her lawyer will contact us in 20 business days. Every time I try to contact her she hangs up. What happens when she files suit? What kind of claim is this if not a small claims?

Last edited:

BL

pamala1999 said:
Her last letter stated that her lawyer will contact us in 20 business days. Every time I try to contact her she hangs up. What happens when she files suit? What kind of claim is this if not a small claims?
The " OLD " neighbor may be BS'ing you .

I would wait to see if in Fact an Attorney contacts you .

If an attorney Does , consult an Attorney of your own .

They may have had something agreed upon with your Dad , but that would fall on the Estate , not you guys .

You'll just have to wait and see if they are bluffing or not .

BL

pamala1999 said:
My dad past away 4 years ago, can she still make a claim against the estate?
Not likely at this point , maybe that's why She is trying to get it out of you .

I really do not see where She has any kind of claim against you and your sister , for anything .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">