• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extra charges, even after I paid in full.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kennyc

California law

Hello,
I have been pursuing my private pilots license. To attain my license, I must fly a minimum of 40 hours with an instructor, and it takes people an average of 80.

I found a instructor 12 months ago and he told me I could hire him as my instructor in 2 ways:
1. For $3,500 upfront he teaches me until I get my license.
2. I can pay $60/hour.

I figure that I might take 80 hours so I should pay the cost upfront and it might save me money.

In 2 months I take about 35 hours of lessons with him, about 5-10 hours short of getting test for the license. I end up getting caught up in college and don't have the time to continue with him. I tell him I will come back later.

10 months later I return and ask him to finish my lessons. He tells me that
a. He didn't know I was going to take a break in the middle, I will have to almost start from the beginning since I will need lots of remedial training.
b. He says he didn't really make it clear when I paid the $3,500 that I was supposed to go though it in one shot (He never mentioned it at all)
c. He says he will give me the 5 hours we were supposed to do before I was going to test out, and after that he will charge me his regular rate.

I don't think this is fair, because I was never informed of this situation before-and, and if I had know, I would worked harder and just finished the last 5 hours.

What would I be legally entitled to?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this and help me.

Mass_Shyster

Schedule the hours. If he refuses to teach beyond the 40 hours, sue him.

At his regular rate ($60/hour) he charged you for 58 hours. If he stops at 40 hours, he charged you $87.50/hour

The difficult part will be proving that the original contract existed, since it sounds like it was never written.

You can sue for the $3500 that you paid and did not receive the value for. I suspect the judge will deduct $2100 for the hours he did teach.

Another question: Of you 35 hours, how many did he actually teach (dual) , and how many were solo?

kennyc

Excellent question, He only taught about 30 of those hours, I have done a few solo flights. There was no contract besides verbal agreed upon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">