• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

F/U : Do I have to accept defendant's offer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Colonel's Wife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I am suing a donut shop for failing to honor a store credit. Owner has now called and emailed me to say he will now make good on the store credit. His change of heart comes after he received my small claims summons and a nudge from his corporate relations department. I told him that I want to be reimbursed the court filing fee of $48. He says "no."

He says suit was my choice, but I reminded him he was the one who encouraged me to do so since we could not agree. My question is do I have to take his offer since the reason for the suit no longer exists?

Also, how can I be sure he won't bail on the remaining $156.00 credit again after I let the suit drop? I'm also reluctant to collect food product from store owner/franchisee who is mad at me. "Special sauce" comes to mind. Any thoughts?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

I am suing a donut shop for failing to honor a store credit. Owner has now called and emailed me to say he will now make good on the store credit. His change of heart comes after he received my small claims summons and a nudge from his corporate relations department. I told him that I want to be reimbursed the court filing fee of $48. He says "no."

He says suit was my choice, but I reminded him he was the one who encouraged me to do so since we could not agree. My question is do I have to take his offer since the reason for the suit no longer exists?

Also, how can I be sure he won't bail on the remaining $156.00 credit again after I let the suit drop? I'm also reluctant to collect food product from store owner/franchisee who is mad at me. "Special sauce" comes to mind. Any thoughts?
Please keep your questions in the original thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">