• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Member has property and stole Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lazar8512

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

My mom brought her 1969 pontiac to her sisters husbands business (home auto repair) to be restored and gave them $5K cash 4 years ago. Her sister will not return phone calls and wont let her on her property to retrieve the car. What can she do about getting the car back (in pieces?) No reciepts (is she out her money?) Any help would be greatly appreciated or direction on who we could talk to regarding this situation.

She thinks she has a withdrawl statement from her bank
The sister posted pictures of the car pieces on facebook a few years ago to show my mom they were working on it (personally I dont think they ever intended on restoring the car and spent the money:(

Last edited:

Dave1952

Was there a contract of some sort? Was there a specific date when the car was supposed to be ready? What work was supposed to be performed? Restoration is rather nebulous. Honestly, "home auto repair" sounds like a weekend hobby, not a business. Is there a real shop? What sort? Paint and body? Mechanic's? Auto upholstery?
Your mom could sue to get her car (in pieces) back, pay someone else to finish the job and then sue for that payment.
This will not have a good effect on family relations.

Good luck

lazar8512

No contract unfortunatley just a verbal understanding and up front payment to get started which he stated should take several months to a year (from my understanding) Excuses and more than enough time has passed with no contact. This is his business. He does all the above repairs and restoration. They are ignoring her phone calls. Should she send a registered letter before calling the local sherriffs department?

Dave1952

I don't think that calling the Sheriff will accomplish much. This is a civil matter.
She needs to: 1) ask for a completion date, and 2) ask for the current status of the work.
If she does not like these answers she may wish to consult a lawyer and sue. This will not be cheap and will hurt family relations.
4 yrs. is way to long for such a restoration. Honestly though, $5000 might buy the parts but wouldn't pay for the labor for a serious restoration. Restoration is very labor intensive.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">