• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fare evasion fine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Devchonka

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but here is my question anyway
I'm 16 years old, and today I received a ticket from the transit adjudication bureau for fare evasion. What actually happened is I was going to the library to volunteer and I used my school metrocard, but today is a no school day, so I was stopped by a police officer. The thing is that I'm required to volunteer for school credit, but I got nervous and didn't know what to say. The police officer took my ID, called my father to verify my address, and gave me a ticket for $60 which I have to pay in 15 days or appear in court. My family moved to NY from Russia three years ago, so I'm not familiar with the whole system. I believe this fine is unreasonable, and I can't pay it right now anyway. My supervisor at the library said she will give me a letter verifying that I was coming to volunteer, and I will try to get a letter from school saying that this credit is required. However, I'm a little scared of going to the court, and I'm not sure what I should say. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

JETX

Devchonka said:
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Okay.... and you won't like it.
First, admit your mistake and accept responsibility. Your continued trying to find 'excuses' shows immaturity and lack of accountability.
Second, pay the fine that is clearly a result of YOUR actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">