• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father is being sued for another company's mistakes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Double_a93

Washington State:

Hey, my father is being sued.

He worked as a sort of independent contractor for a company (we'll call this A), and one of his friends started a house painting business. So when he found people that weren't interested in company A, he helped refer them to the house painting business, for a small commission.

Anyways, fast forward to the recession: He no longer works for "A", and now works for a retail store. The paint company that his friend started has tanked. To his surprise, he recently got a legal notice that one of the paint company's clients he referred was suing him. The notice stated that his paint job on the house was falling apart, and that he wanted a refund.

So naturally, my dad believed that this was his friend who started the company's fault. But he just lost the case.

What does he do now?

justalayman

I presume your father was listed by name on the complaint. Did he even respond to the complaint?

is your father now being sued, as the title of your thread states or has he already been sued and lost the case?

Dave1952

He has 30 (?) days to appeal this ruling. What's changed? Why do you think that he has a chance of winning now?

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">