• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father steals from underage daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BarnMama

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Not sure I'm in the right place, but my 13 yr old daughters father stole money from her in order to post his own bail. It has been two weeks and he has not paid her back or anything. Can he be charged with petty larceny?

Some Random Guy

If he is the legal father of the child and has custody, then he has the right to take her money, especially in cases where the property is to provide for her care. Do you believe that he can better provide for her well being from within a jail cell?

Realistically, don't expect to see that money anytime soon. Lawyers cost money and time in jail is time he wasn't working and getting paid.

BarnMama

He is the non-custodial parent and he pays me support ( which he hasn't since March 08). He had her overnight bag and took the money that she saved up from babysitting. He has told her that he can't pay her back.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He is the non-custodial parent and he pays me support ( which he hasn't since March 08). He had her overnight bag and took the money that she saved up from babysitting. He has told her that he can't pay her back.
What is your child doing carrying around that much money? And how much does she charge to babysit? :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">