• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Feel scammed and robbed want to sue woman I meet online, not sure what to do.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dragonking123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ I live in NY and would visit the woman in NJ.

Since March/April I went to meet up with a woman that at the time appeared normal. Sometime later I gave her money as part of a loan. Just recently, we made plans to go to a place. I put the money I had in the car cup holder and she asked to make a stop along the way. Then she takes the money and hopes into a car I never seen before and disappears. I didn't even have enough time to park. I didn't even get a good look to see where they were going. This woman then call and tells me she's a mile away at some address. I'm yelling at her that what she just did was not cool at all. She said I was nuts for being upset.

I go to this address and she's nowhere in sight. Basically, I'm being sent on a wild goose chase. This woman owes me money and just took more money from me. I just found out her address provided by someone that knows her. I'm debating what to do. I rather have a lawyers help but unsure if it's cost efficient. But I rather talk to a lawyer in private to discuss other concerns.

Lets say I obtained a lawyer. I feel better that way, as I'm so stressed out by this situation. I'm not sure if she was being honest when she said she had a job. I think she's still unemployed. Though, I believe she is seriously looking for employment. If I do win, can this judgement chase her from whatever job she has to the next? What can I say or do to have some justice?

As for proof I have her on tape saying she owes me money and was paying me back within a month or so. Also text messages. Is that sufficient or am I completely out of luck?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ I live in NY and would visit the woman in NJ.

Since March/April I went to meet up with a woman that at the time appeared normal. Sometime later I gave her money as part of a loan. Just recently, we made plans to go to a place. I put the money I had in the car cup holder and she asked to make a stop along the way. Then she takes the money and hopes into a car I never seen before and disappears. I didn't even have enough time to park. I didn't even get a good look to see where they were going. This woman then call and tells me she's a mile away at some address. I'm yelling at her that what she just did was not cool at all. She said I was nuts for being upset.

I go to this address and she's nowhere in sight. Basically, I'm being sent on a wild goose chase. This woman owes me money and just took more money from me. I just found out her address provided by someone that knows her. I'm debating what to do. I rather have a lawyers help but unsure if it's cost efficient. But I rather talk to a lawyer in private to discuss other concerns.

Lets say I obtained a lawyer. I feel better that way, as I'm so stressed out by this situation. I'm not sure if she was being honest when she said she had a job. I think she's still unemployed. Though, I believe she is seriously looking for employment. If I do win, can this judgement chase her from whatever job she has to the next? What can I say or do to have some justice?

As for proof I have her on tape saying she owes me money and was paying me back within a month or so. Also text messages. Is that sufficient or am I completely out of luck?
How much money did you loan her?

As for the money in the cupholder...how much money are you talking about there? Why didn't you report the theft to the police?

dragonking123

I was too upset and I didn't even know her current address till now. She use to live in Elizabeth NJ and moved to Red Bank, NJ with a cousin. I never seen her enter or leave at that address. When I picked her up she would be walking towards me from around the corner. I only picked her up from Red Bank twice.

Apparently she's living in an apartment now. Total she owes me almost 1,200.00 I've already added the 75.00 she took from the cup holder. But if she was lying about have started a job is their a point?

As for not calling the police, I wasn't sure what her address was I had no idea where this girl disappeared to. I'm just going to be standing there like an idiot. Apparently she moves from address to address. I rather talk to a lawyer personally. But I keep reading about judgement not being paid, ever. So I don't know what I should do.

Spend money on lawyers, transportation, taking off work, to receive a judgement that may never be paid? I honestly do not know what to do. It took me this long to figure out her current address.

Zigner

I was too upset and I didn't even know her current address till now. She use to live in Elizabeth NJ and moved to Red Bank, NJ with a cousin. I never seen her enter or leave at that address. When I picked her up she would be walking towards me from around the corner. I only picked her up from Red Bank twice.

Apparently she's living in an apartment now. Total she owes me almost 1,200.00 I've already added the 75.00 she took from the cup holder. But if she was lying about have started a job is their a point?

As for not calling the police, I wasn't sure what her address was I had no idea where this girl disappeared to. I'm just going to be standing there like an idiot. Apparently she moves from address to address. I rather talk to a lawyer personally. But I keep reading about judgement not being paid, ever. So I don't know what I should do.

Spend money on lawyers, transportation, taking off work, to receive a judgement that may never be paid? I honestly do not know what to do. It took me this long to figure out her current address.
You can sue the girl in small claims court. Please keep in mind that you won't get back any money you spend for an attorney.

dragonking123

I think it would be best to talk to a lawyer in private. But is their a point? Is she going to go to jail or have a criminal record? Probably not. It just seems pointless, or maybe it's not and I'm being too pessimistic. Regardless I rather speak to a lawyer. How much money would a lawyer charge for something like this? If I can't get my money back I really want this woman to receive some kind of criminal record.

I don't know, maybe I'm never going to get justice for what she did to me.

Zigner

I think it would be best to talk to a lawyer in private. But is their a point? Is she going to go to jail or have a criminal record? Probably not. It just seems pointless, or maybe it's not and I'm being too pessimistic. Regardless I rather speak to a lawyer. How much money would a lawyer charge for something like this? If I can't get my money back I really want this woman to receive some kind of criminal record.

I don't know, maybe I'm never going to get justice for what she did to me.
This is a contract dispute which is purely a civil matter. She's not going to get a criminal record. Frankly, you may want to consider this an expensive lesson on "loaning" money out.

(I'm ignoring the $75, since you didn't feel the need to report it to the police.)

dragonking123

I had no idea what to do. I still don't really. I didn't even know what her new address was. It just occurred to me that I never saw her go into that building that I picked her up at. I probably should have but I was just so upset and stressed out I just wanted to go home and sleep it off. I guess that didn't make sense.

I have her on tape stating she acknowledge she owes me 1,000.00 is that good to have? It's not the full amount but I'll settle for an amount close to what was owed.

justalayman

Since you did not report the theft of the $75 at the time but especially since you simply added it to what you claim she owes you, no cop in the world will consider that theft. With that, there are no criminal issues involved.

If you want to speak with a lawyer, then pick one out of the phone book and make an appointment. You might get a free consult but chances are you are going to pay for really any real advice though.

If you are willing to hire a lawyer they will file a suit on behalf of you. Of course that comes at a price and depending on what lawyers charge in your area, you could spend as much as is owed to you in suing this woman.

You will then only end up with a judgment (presuming you win) that you have to collect on. That is why small claims court is there; small dollar law suits that where you don't spend s fortune on lawyers fees.

LdiJ

This is a contract dispute which is purely a civil matter. She's not going to get a criminal record. Frankly, you may want to consider this an expensive lesson on "loaning" money out.

(I'm ignoring the $75, since you didn't feel the need to report it to the police.)
The "loan" is a contract dispute but stealing money out of the cup holder is not.

justalayman

The "loan" is a contract dispute but stealing money out of the cup holder is not.
But the op did not treat it as theft and has in fact simply incorporated it into what the woman owes him. Op removed it from an actual criminal matter and converted it to a civil issue by treating it as a civil issue. No cop in the world is now going to see it as criminal.

LdiJ

But the op did not treat it as theft and has in fact simply incorporated it into what the woman owes him. Op removed it from an actual criminal matter and converted it to a civil issue by treating it as a civil issue. No cop in the world is now going to see it as criminal.
Valid point.

dragonking123

I have no witness she took the money from the cup holder. We were going to do something romantic, and I took some money out of the bank. I trusted her and put the money in the cupholder. I didn't think much of it. As I was driving she was giving me directions and told me she was going to introduce me to her cousin. I've never met this cousin of hers but was looking forward to it.

I actually drove past a white car that she said was her cousin. I parked in the other lot instead of making a u turn. As I was parking, she said she'll be right back and took the money. I didn't realized she took it already. I went to the parking lot and they were gone. Vanished. I tried calling and waited for I think 30mins. Then I started to drive away to get something to eat. She called telling me she is coming bacik. I said it wasn't cool to leave. So, I parked int he parking lot the white car was parked before. She then tells me to park in the other lot and she's coming downstairs right now.

I walked over and see nobody and went back into my car. She then asked me to pick her up a mile south. I got annoyed and asked her how disappearing and going a mile south was an okay thing to do.

I actually have a dashcam. I have a view of the white car. I didn't realize it at the time, but my dashcam picked up what looked like the same white car, parked all the way in the corner of the parking lot.

justalayman

So what are you looking for (besides some love for money)?

Either make a demand the woman repay you and consider suing her if she refuses or let it go and find somebody else that is willing to love you long time for $75.

Silverplum

I have no witness she took the money from the cup holder. We were going to do something romantic, and I took some money out of the bank. I trusted her and put the money in the cupholder. I didn't think much of it. As I was driving she was giving me directions and told me she was going to introduce me to her cousin. I've never met this cousin of hers but was looking forward to it.

I actually drove past a white car that she said was her cousin. I parked in the other lot instead of making a u turn. As I was parking, she said she'll be right back and took the money. I didn't realized she took it already. I went to the parking lot and they were gone. Vanished. I tried calling and waited for I think 30mins. Then I started to drive away to get something to eat. She called telling me she is coming bacik. I said it wasn't cool to leave. So, I parked int he parking lot the white car was parked before. She then tells me to park in the other lot and she's coming downstairs right now.

I walked over and see nobody and went back into my car. She then asked me to pick her up a mile south. I got annoyed and asked her how disappearing and going a mile south was an okay thing to do.

I actually have a dashcam. I have a view of the white car. I didn't realize it at the time, but my dashcam picked up what looked like the same white car, parked all the way in the corner of the parking lot.
My advice is to stay away from the hookers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">