• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fence & trees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eliekheder

What is the name of your state? CA

My neighbor is complaining about the poor shape of the fence between us and the Juniper trees behind it on my side.
*The fence is 37 years old Grapestake Cedar type and looks fairly good from my side not falling or broken, perhaps because of my trees, and I cannot justify sparing the expenses just because of her wishes.
*The trees are beautiful and over 35 years old they are high at the level of my two story home they act as a natural fence for my second story and protect my privacy; her second story windows look straight into my master bedroom.
She complains that these trees obstruct the sun from her roses and cannot successfully grow flowers on her side also they needed to be cut in order to replace the fence. I don’t want to do either.
What are my options?:confused:What is the name of your state?

HappyHusband

eliekheder said:
What is the name of your state? CA

My neighbor is complaining about the poor shape of the fence between us and the Juniper trees behind it on my side.
*The fence is 37 years old Grapestake Cedar type and looks fairly good from my side not falling or broken, perhaps because of my trees, and I cannot justify sparing the expenses just because of her wishes.
*The trees are beautiful and over 35 years old they are high at the level of my two story home they act as a natural fence for my second story and protect my privacy; her second story windows look straight into my master bedroom.
She complains that these trees obstruct the sun from her roses and cannot successfully grow flowers on her side also they needed to be cut in order to replace the fence. I don’t want to do either.
What are my options?:confused:What is the name of your state?
Your neighbor has the right to trim or remove any part of the trees that are on, or overhang, her property.
She has no say on what you do with the trees that are totally within your property boundaries. Unless they are diseased or dead and pose a threat of damaging her property.

On whose property is the fence located?
If hers, she can replace it.
If yours, if it poses a danger because of its poor condition, you should replace it.

eliekheder

The fence is a mutual fence between both property line. In a normal situation, we both suppose to be equally responsible for the replacement if it is falling, broken or unsafe but as I said it is erect and looks good.
She has sent me a certified letter demanding half the cost for a new fence and asking me to cut my trees with the intention to follow suit I presume…she gave me 30 days, would I reply with a letter or call?..or do nothing?
Thanks again.

BelizeBreeze

The fence is a mutual fence between both property line. In a normal situation, we both suppose to be equally responsible for the replacement if it is falling, broken or unsafe but as I said it is erect and looks good.
She has sent me a certified letter demanding half the cost for a new fence and asking me to cut my trees with the intention to follow suit I presume…she gave me 30 days, would I reply with a letter or call?..or do nothing?
Thanks again.
The fence is either on your property, her property or Directly on the property line. Until you have a survey to know exactly where the fence is, there's nothing you should do.

Or, you could tell her to sit on her thorns.

eliekheder

On the line

It is on both property separating line as in most California homes. But I got your message thank you.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">