• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fighting City Hall

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pen1

What is the name of your state?California
What I need to know is if the city where I live can try to collect on a fine me for violating some city law without me having aknowledged receipt of the violation, in other words, I have never signed any papers that I received a copy of the violation. And since I haven't paid the fine within the 30 day period, they have, now, send it to the collection department of the city with an extra penalty of 25%.
In order to defend myself, if I can, in Small Claims, I would like to know what the law says regarding a situation like that (where I did not received and signed for a copy of the violation).
There is more to it, but that is the basic question.

JETX

pen1 said:
What is the name of your state?California
What I need to know is if the city where I live can try to collect on a fine me for violating some city law without me having aknowledged receipt of the violation, in other words, I have never signed any papers that I received a copy of the violation. And since I haven't paid the fine within the 30 day period, they have, now, send it to the collection department of the city with an extra penalty of 25%.
In order to defend myself, if I can, in Small Claims, I would like to know what the law says regarding a situation like that (where I did not received and signed for a copy of the violation).
There is more to it, but that is the basic question.
You have no case. Pay the assessment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">