• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing Case against airline in small claims court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kapilgy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I am planning to file a case against spirit airlines in small claims court. I live in Dallas fort worth area and they have their HDQ in FL. I want to know if I can file my case in the county where I live or Do I need to file it in the place where their HDQ is located? They lost my luggage when I was traveling from Dallas to vegas. I filed my lost luggage complaint in vegas. But the compensation they have provided is not sufficient. They have operations in Dallas Fort worth airport and I live in this area also.
Can someone please guide me about the location where this claim should be filed in small claims court?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I am planning to file a case against spirit airlines in small claims court. I live in Dallas fort worth area and they have their HDQ in FL. I want to know if I can file my case in the county where I live or Do I need to file it in the place where their HDQ is located? They lost my luggage when I was traveling from Dallas to vegas. I filed my lost luggage complaint in vegas. But the compensation they have provided is not sufficient. They have operations in Dallas Fort worth airport and I live in this area also.
Can someone please guide me about the location where this claim should be filed in small claims court?
You're stuck in FL:

(from https://www.spirit.com/Content/Documents/en-US/Contract_of_Carriage.pdf )

12. Choice of Law and Venue

12.1 This Contract of Carriage will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of
the United States of America and the State of Florida without regard to conflict of law
principles or law. The state and federal courts having jurisdiction over Miramar, Florida will
have jurisdiction to hear claims arising under this Contract of Carriage.
All right to trial by jury in any action, proceeding or counterclaim arising out of or in
connection with this Contract of Carriage is irrevocably waived.

Zigner

I'm curious - what was in your luggage that you don't feel you were properly compensated for?

Zigner

Further there are limits by law as to their responsibility.
What amounts are the issue here?
I was wondering that too. And, if the OP couldn't produce receipts for items with a claimed value over $50, that's another problem. Furthermore, by accepting the airline's settlement payment, the OP may have given up any further claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">