• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing claim against a repair shop or repair shop mechanic

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krystal1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? U S

Can an auto repair shop or an auto repair shop mechanic be liable for the cost of repairing or replacing my transmission after giving me the go ahead that the car did not have transmission problem, about a week after their diagnosis, the transmission problem was discovered,

ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION
Did they CAUSE the transmission to fail, NO

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Can an auto repair shop or an auto repair shop mechanic be liable for the cost of repairing or replacing my transmission after giving me the go ahead that the car did not have transmission problem, about a week after their diagnosis, the transmission problem was discovered,
Did they CAUSE the transmission to fail?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION
Did they CAUSE the transmission to fail, NO
Unless you can prove that they CAUSED the transmission to fail or the problem was in existence at the time they checked it, then you have no grounds. If they were wrong in their diagnosis, you can sue for the cost of the diagnosis that was incorrect. But you need to prove that they were incorrect at the time they did the diagnosis and that the problem did NOT develop AFTER they returned the car to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">