• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing Claim Remotely

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

John10636

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida, Massachusetts

Hi,

I live in Massachusetts, and need to file a claim down in Florida. Given the rainy weather, I don't mind flying down to file, though I would then need to get down there again for the pretrial.

Do I need to be there in person to file? Can I hire someone else to file for me?

Thanks!
John

sandyclaus

Filing Remotely... For Less!!!

Why hire an attorney to do it? They're usually expensive and charge you for every little thing.

Alternatively, there are most likely filing services in the jurisdiction, run by paralegals, that can do it for a flat fee that is MUCH less expensive.

Another option is to fax file. Most courts, but not all, accept filing this way for other civil cases. Check to see if your court has a fax file option (look up whether or not they have a website, it will usually tell you there). Filing for the cost of the phone call, plus a per-page charge, usually accepted via credit card.

Last option (not sure if it's available there yet, relatively new but available here for years in California in different counties) is an online filing service via website. These same sites will walk you thru preparing your claim, and then charge you a small filing fee on top of the court's own fees. Be aware that this service is still very new and availability limited to only some county jurisdictions within specific states.
Best bet: GOOGLE florida small claims online filing service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">