• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing Small Claims Papers: What To Include

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

midnite007x

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NORTH CAROLINA

I am filing papers tomorrow against my landlord and agent, I know I am to use the formal complaint form but am, i supposed to just leave it as "breach of lease contract" or do I need to include an attached explanation. I have all emails exchanged, pictures and timeline breakdown but I was just going to save that to take to court. I don't want them to have to much of a heads up as to what it all includes, they are not aware I have been keeping all the emails or taken pictures and are basically underestimating my inteligence for the entire situatuation.

You have to include enough of an explanation so that they (and the court) have an understanding of what your claims are.

For example, you need to state that you had a lease contract dated xxx, that you were in full compliance with the lease, and that on yyy the lease was breached when LL didn't _________ (fill in the blank - return the security deposit, kicked you out, etc). You should further state that you tried to resolve the situation on xxx date by written notice to the Landlord, which notice has been ignored.

You don't have to identify the evidence that you have (the emails and pictures) in your complaint. You do, however, have to state the facts about why you are suing. Try and keep it simple, chronological, and logical. Remember the judge reads hundreds of these a week, and simply wants to get an understanding of what the issues are.

midnite007x

thanks pooh, i guess a 7 page timeline would be a little to much?? we have only lived there a month, i will try to narrow it down

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">