• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finally getting around o it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

minjo1980

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My boyfriend loaned around $3000.00 to a former girlfriend approximately 4 years ago. When they broke up she agreed in writing that she would pay him back. She made some payments to him but still owes him around $2000.00. She has now moved to California nad although she works says she is having serious health problems and can't pay him. The problem is we are now having financial problems of our own and could really use the money. Is it too late to file a case and if not where would we file. Here in Michigan where they both lived at the time of the loan would be my guess am I right???

racer72

Your BF is well within the statute of limitations and would have just cause to sue in Michigan. The problem is his Michigan judgment is worthless in California unless he want to travel there at his own expense in an attempt to domesticate the judgment. Then the cost to actually collect would most likely exceed the value of the judgment. This is a case where the effort and cost far exceeds the value of the attempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">