• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this financial abuse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sharri912

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Hi I'm 22 years old. I've been dating my boyfriend for 10 months now. He's older, 40 years old. When we first started dating, I had a lot of financial issues. I wasn't in school cause I owed $3500, he paid it. I didn't have a car, he bought one. I was living with a roommate and he encouraged me to move out in my own place and he'll pay the rent and all the utilities. And he did and still do. He doesn't give me checks or cash, he gives me his debit card and I use that 90% of the time. He travels so he's not around much.

I didn't think it was nothing wrong with me using his debit card until one night me and my cousin went out for drinks at a bar and he called me cursing and screaming telling me to go home and get the **** out of the bar. That's when I used my brain and figured he wanted me to use the debit card so he can track my where abouts whenever I spend. Then I started withdrawing $ from ATM and he didn't like that. Anyway months go by, I'm still using his card and whenever we argue and I threaten to leave he'd say he will call the police and dispute all the charges on his debit card and have me put in jail for stealing and forging his signature. Funny thing is since I met him I gained a financial need of him because I can't afford my apartment by myself, car insurance, furniture bill, health insurance, and my 2 year old son's daycare, food and clothes. Whenever he's mad at me he would disable his card and I wont be able to purchase anything. Then I would have to spend the money I save until its gone and then he'll return his card.
He also hacked my e mail, Facebook and he sees my phone bill records. I'm not allowed to go out or hang with my friends. Then I found out he's married to someone else in another country and he's paying her bills too. Lol.... this is so weird to me. I feel stupid and trapped. Sad thing is I really love him so much and I feel bad as if I'm using him for money and that the things he do to me are allowed because he works hard to take care of me.

Gail in Georgia

This posting has got to be a joke.

You didn't mind him paying your old debts, buying you a car, paying your rent and utilities and you using his debit card for whatever you want....and now you wonder if you're using him for his money and you feel "trapped"?

Seriously???

Gail

marshalAK

Hi I'm 22 years old. I've been dating my boyfriend for 10 months now. He's older, 40 years old. When we first started dating, I had a lot of financial issues. I wasn't in school cause I owed $3500, he paid it. I didn't have a car, he bought one. I was living with a roommate and he encouraged me to move out in my own place and he'll pay the rent and all the utilities. And he did and still do. He doesn't give me checks or cash, he gives me his debit card and I use that 90% of the time. He travels so he's not around much.

I didn't think it was nothing wrong with me using his debit card until one night me and my cousin went out for drinks at a bar and he called me cursing and screaming telling me to go home and get the **** out of the bar. That's when I used my brain and figured he wanted me to use the debit card so he can track my where abouts whenever I spend. Then I started withdrawing $ from ATM and he didn't like that. Anyway months go by, I'm still using his card and whenever we argue and I threaten to leave he'd say he will call the police and dispute all the charges on his debit card and have me put in jail for stealing and forging his signature. Funny thing is since I met him I gained a financial need of him because I can't afford my apartment by myself, car insurance, furniture bill, health insurance, and my 2 year old son's daycare, food and clothes. Whenever he's mad at me he would disable his card and I wont be able to purchase anything. Then I would have to spend the money I save until its gone and then he'll return his card.
He also hacked my e mail, Facebook and he sees my phone bill records. I'm not allowed to go out or hang with my friends. Then I found out he's married to someone else in another country and he's paying her bills too. Lol.... this is so weird to me. I feel stupid and trapped. Sad thing is I really love him so much and I feel bad as if I'm using him for money and that the things he do to me are allowed because he works hard to take care of me.
Get a brain, a spine, and a job. In that order. Then you won't have to worry about anyone taking care of you but you.

Jeebus.

Antigone*

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Yes, this is financial abuse. Stop abusing this man.:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">