• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

To find the legal owner of a car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PosseRider

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

I am a body shop that needs to make sure that before I deal with a certain person that they are the legal owner of the car.
Been there done that, where a person is arguing about said car and they are not the legal owners of it..... thus, I don't deal with that person.
HOW do I find the legal owner of this car that is sitting in my garage waiting to be paid for?
Is there a form one submits to the state?
Anyone.

racer72

The person that signs the work order is the person legally liable for the bill. If you want the legal owner, you can look at the vehicle registration or call the police and see if they will give you the info based on the license plate/VIN.

PosseRider

I need the legal owner so I can persue this person in court or by phone......
more than likely in court, but I have to have my ducks in a row ahead of time.
The cops are not going to give me that info.
Still wondering if there is a form to get this from the DMV

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I need the legal owner so I can persue this person in court or by phone......
more than likely in court, but I have to have my ducks in a row ahead of time.
The cops are not going to give me that info.
Still wondering if there is a form to get this from the DMV
If Bob brings Erics car in and contracts with you to paint it and then refuses to pay for it, how do you think you can collect from Eric?
Or do I misunderstand your problem...?

PosseRider

This much I know. When no one comes forward to pay, I get to keep the car. I need to take the legal owner to court in order to do this.
Can't take Bob now can I?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This much I know. When no one comes forward to pay, I get to keep the car. I need to take the legal owner to court in order to do this.
Can't take Bob now can I?
So you are trying to perform a lien sale. Contact your state's Department of Motor Vehicles - they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">