• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Finding out if there is a lien on my tax return?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlc614

Hi! Is there anyway I can find out if there is a lien on my tax return? ANd who can have this done? My ex and I were joint on a piece of property and he left me with the whole bill and I am trying to pay it off but have been told they might put a lien on my tax's. this is through a private person. thanks

JETX

First, unless the creditor has statutory authority (tax agency, child support, court order, etc.), it would be extremely unlikely for ANYONE to be able to place a lien against ANY asset of yours.

So, without a judgment first, this creditor can't do it.

Second, even though it is possible to place a lien against some state income tax refunds (only a few allow it), it would be uncommon for an individual to do it (usually done by a state agency).

Bottom line... if this is NOT a government agency AND if a judgment has NOT been rendered, they are lying to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">