• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fines & fees paid for 'lost' book? recoop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MaeUSA40

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My daughter says her friend borrowed a library book that I paid $7.25 fine on. I renewed the book upon paying the fine, and when we went to the girls house, she said she lost it. I went to ask her mother to be on the look-out for the book, because it was a library book that had to be returned ASAP. The girl's mother told me that she threw it away in the trash! :O It was a book about withcraft and spells and, as she had previously 'played around' with the likes, she knew what it was, and it "is not allowed in her house", so she threw it in the trash. I told her that I wished she would have called me, as it was a library book, that I needed to return, she stated that it didn't seem to have markings of a library book, that it had a print inside that was from a local bookstore that she knew to be for witchcraft materials, she threw it away. At the time, I wasn't sure we were speaking about the same book and asked her to be aware of another book laying around. I spoke with my daughter, and it is, in fact, the book the girl's mother threw away. I had to pay an additional $26. for the book at the library, and now my daughter is telling me that her friend that borrowed the book is telling everyone at school that she (my daughter) is a witch and cast a spell on the girl's sister. I think this girls mother should have called me to come and get the book. I want to send her the bill for the cost of the book? Can I do this through the local JP? I am upset that my daughter didn't grasp the idea of the book being her responsibility, but I can't believe this woman would just throw it away. Besides, from what this girl's mother told me, the rumors that her daughter is spreading about my child, is a misconception of what her mother told her about her own dealings with wicca. She is hurting my child's reputation with her peers in the neighborhood because of what she misunderstood from her mother. :confused:

JETX

MaeUSA40 said:
I want to send her the bill for the cost of the book?
Of course, you an send her a bill, but based on your post, there is no legal obligation to pay it.

Can I do this through the local JP?
What? Why would you want to send your bill 'through' the local JP??
Or do you mean, can you file this matter in your local JP (small claims) court?? If so, yes, you can..... but you still have no case against her.

MaeUSA40

what if I file a complaint with the police....

the girls are 6th grade, 12ish. How about if I file a complaint with the police, that the girl won't give the book back to my daughter. If the police go to her house and she admits to throwing it away, would I have a case then? I'm so sick of trying to do the right thing... I would never destroy other people's property-- I may pack it up and set it outside, and let them know I want no parts of it, but I have enough respect for other people and their hard earned money not to trash their belongings! :mad: I'm tired of always getting screwed by everyone. I just want these people to realize the err of their ways! So.. really, I guess just sending her a copy of the reciept with a request for payment would do exactly that, even if I never see a penny of it. Thanks for your input! ;)

JETX

MaeUSA40 said:
How about if I file a complaint with the police, that the girl won't give the book back to my daughter.
Go ahead and report it, after all, the officers need a good laugh every once in a while.
There is nothing CRIMINAL in your post. The bottom line is.... your daughter loaned a book to another child, where it was subsequently lost or tossed. No matter how you try to spin it, if anyone is responsible, it is your daughter.

If the police go to her house and she admits to throwing it away, would I have a case then?
No.

MaeUSA40

:(

Sorry that my trivial life interrupted here. With 5 children, I am bombarded constantly by the school and the police about the 'zero tolerance' policy-- what is right, and just, and what is not allowed to be spoken! With all the dictators trying to mandate morals, I guess I thought it mattered to the adult population as well. Hey, thanks for the advice! :D Guess today's not my day! :rolleyes: THANKS AGAIN! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">