• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FL Small Claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ehask71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Florida

I purchased a cell phone from a guy. I called Alltel to make sure I could activate they said they needed the previous owner to call and remove the phone from his account. I tell him I want the phone so please call and get the phone removed. Short of the story he takes off then texts me "sorry when I get my taxes Ill pay the bill in a week or so No refunds".

Police say it is a Civil Matter, Alltel says sorry take him to small claims. Well I dont have an address. I do have a License Plate and I found him on Facebook. I found another ad from this guy on Craigslist selling furniture so Im thinking of having a friend set a meeting with him to see if we corner him he will return my money.

My question is can I file a small claims case without an address. Is there a procedure for me or the court to get an address from his Plate? Do I have any other recourse?

Thx for any ideas
Eric

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Florida

I purchased a cell phone from a guy. I called Alltel to make sure I could activate they said they needed the previous owner to call and remove the phone from his account. I tell him I want the phone so please call and get the phone removed. Short of the story he takes off then texts me "sorry when I get my taxes Ill pay the bill in a week or so No refunds".

Police say it is a Civil Matter, Alltel says sorry take him to small claims. Well I dont have an address. I do have a License Plate and I found him on Facebook. I found another ad from this guy on Craigslist selling furniture so Im thinking of having a friend set a meeting with him to see if we corner him he will return my money.

My question is can I file a small claims case without an address. Is there a procedure for me or the court to get an address from his Plate? Do I have any other recourse?

Thx for any ideas
Eric
No you can't file a small case without an address and you can't serve the person if you can't find them either. I'm sorry but you weren't very smart when you handed over the money without verifying that the phone could be switched. I guess this is a lesson learned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">