• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Flooring Contractor Bailed/ Left with mess and damages / Unknown address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

patrickssmokey

Hello, all, from Missouri

I am in a pickle at this time, and am looking for any avenue for help at this time.

The Rundown:
• Install 1,000 sq. ft. of 12mm African Mahogany Laminate flooring with stair noses, thresholds, and quarter round.
• Install 430 LF of painted white base trim.
• Verbally approved schedule of Friday-Sunday work, being complete Sunday.
• Contract for $1,175 with $100 deposit down and other payments made in cash (witnesses present during all transactions)
• Paid $750 for services total up to when they walked off.
• Contractor walked out with damaged walls, base trim, and destroyed the flooring (scuffed, faded, buckled, gapped, etc., all with photo and video documentation after each day they left.

The Issue:

• The contractor walked off the job and will not return my phone calls. The damage is unforeseeable and the mess left behind was disgusting. I have a reputable company doing the install now with a quote to demo the existing flooring, me purchasing new flooring, and those doing the full install. This was $3,500 for just labor minus the install.
• I do not have the contractor’s last name or an address and he is not in the BBB.
• He was doing the work with another guy, and I have their license plate number of their truck. Should I sue both of them, or just the one who signed the contract? I really do not want to hire a lawyer because it will more than likely be at the max range for small claims court, and I simply do not have the money.
• I also had a tenant that was to move in on that Sunday, but had to postpone due to the work (lost income?)
• A licensed installer that I originally had a bid from confirmed that the floor is not salvageable and I would have to demo all, purchase new flooring, and re install. I have his quote/contract.

With all this in mind, how would you handle this situation? I am trying to get his last name, but it was foreign and complicated to spell.

I have all photo and video evidence along with a contract that he signed.

If I do not do something to make this right, I am out a hefty amount.

Please help!

Thank you,

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sue the bad guy in small claims court. You will need to find a valid name and address.

ETA: You didn't list your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">