• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FOIA? ny

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alpha_male

What is the name of your state? ny

I recently started a business in which I want to assist judgment creditors in recovering their judgment from delinquint debtors. In order to do this I need to access the small claims files, which I believe is covered under the Freedom of Information Act. I wrote a letter of introduction to the court clerk and someone from the office phoned the next day asking what I wanted. I told her and she said she would have some cases pulled for the coming monday. I arrived monday to be told by the clerk that no files were pulled But she would have her temp (the person I spoke to on the phone) pull some and call me when she was ready. I got a call this morning telling me she spoke to two judges and they told her she didnt have to pull the files unless i had a case #. I was VERY reasonble with my request and offered to work with them as to make this as easy as possible for them. Can they withhold these public records unless i have a case #? Please help as my business is grounded without this information.
Bruce A.

H

hexeliebe

This has nothing to do with the Freedom of Information Act. And even if it did, provision in the act require you to identify "to a reasonable certainty" the records you are seeking.

In other words, no one is REQUIRED by the act or any other law, to do your work for you.

And the judge only said you must have a case number. They are not denying you access to the records. They have better things to do than be your minion.

Now go delete your OTHER post and maybe you'll get an answer you like. It will be wrong but it will be one you might agree with.

racer72

You need your customers to supply the case numbers or are you one of those scum collectors looking for open judgements to go after?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">