• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

foreign national wants to sue for missing products sent to my US address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blazer9

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
The case might sound really stupid. Here is what happened.
I'm US citizen and I married a Chinese national in Dec 2012. My wife's cousin and the cousin's friend bought some cosmetics from US websites and got them shipped to my NJ house using my wife's name as the recipient. My wife out her kindness did them a favor by bringing their stuff back to China. They never sent a complete list and my wife never signed to agree that she would compensate for any losses. My wife does not know her cousin's friend. The cousin just took advantage of her being in US to bring them back products.
The cousin and friend clearly took advantage of my wife by sending around 15 big packages to our house. Three packages got missing unknowingly as we got married and our house had a lot of in and out of people. All products arrived in my house while we were overseas so someone else in my house signed to receive the package. My wife also had to throw out 4 bottles of liquid cosmetics at the customs because carry-on does not allow liquid and she forgot.
Now the cousin and friend claim that they have lost around $1,500 worth of products (shipped to our house) and want to sue my wife from China. My wife is currently in US living in my house. She still holds Chinese citizenship.
The cousin and cousin's friend claim that they have great connections to the police and the customs in China and they would sue my wife till end of the world.
The whole case sounds funny and amazing to me. What will happen? Thank you for any advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This site is for US law only - if your wife is sued in China, she will want to seek assistance in China.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">