• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former co-owner of company, question about prior legal fees?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ctula

What is the name of your state? California

I was a co-owner tech company here in Southern California. About two months ago I withdrew my membership, ownership, title, etc from the company because it's potential dissolvement and lack of assistance from the other co-owners (one who claimed that after 6 months of business he was due $15K for his shares, and the other who was too frustrated with ownership). We had a legal bill that we had not gotten yet, but we had a credit card bill personally guaranteed by the the frustrated owner and myself. So we did everything we could and paid it off seeing as the 15K owner did not want anything to do with the company now except his $15K (he only put in 1000.00 capital and worked half days everyday).

So we paid the bills. I got an attorney to do the paperwork to properly withdraw my shares and etc from the company. I had the frustrated co-owner accept it. The frustrated co-owner withdrew my name from the LLC paperwork. So I am done.

However, we got a legal bill for $4200. The company is not closed. The $15K owner claims that he is not part of the company but did nothing officially other than say "Take me off the calendar", but continued to press to be included on all board meetings after stating that fact.

The president (4%) and the father of the $15K owner has not said a word in 5 months and had his son say that the president is gone. So refuse to pay the bill and will not give anything. I do not care because I know I got out.

However, the creditor law firm is stating that they are going to look at it as individuals rather than the entity even though the entity exists?. Can they do this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">