• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Former" Dog Owner wants to sue me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikkik8806

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

On 10/6/11 a stray dog came into our animal hospital. We allowed him to stay and all the local shelters and vets were contacted to let everyone know that we had the dog there and gave a description of the dog. Also ads were placed online. On or about the 30th no one ever claimed the dog, so I decided to take him to my home and tried to find him a new home, thinking that I wouldn't want to keep him long term. I continued to place several ads online with the dog's picture stating he was a stray and that I was looking for a new home for him. No one ever came forward to me to claim in, but instead I had a family adopt him on 11/7/11. I have emails to and from this new family to prove that they rehomed him.
Several weeks later (I was notified on 10/19) 'friends' of the original owners showed up at our hospital to claim their dog - at this point I just told the receptionists to let these people know that the dog had found a good home and that he was no longer in the hospital.
At that time I had emailed the 'new' owners to see how the dog was doing, apparently he had become aggressive in their home and they ended up calling 911 and having the dog removed from their home. (I had NO idea that this would have ever happened-he never showed any aggressive tendencies while in the hospital and in my home!) So on the night of the 19th they ended up telling me he was taken to the shelter on the 18th.
The following Monday (11/21) I contacted the shelter where the dog was at and was able to adopt him myself - signing a legal contract to adopt him. Since then we've just embraced him in our home as our own dog. He's a very sweet boy - I've had no problems with aggression.
Since I've had the dog these people are now showing up at our office threatening to sue them for the dog. Someone at the front desk told them that I now have the dog and they apparently were giving people updates on what I was doing with the dog. The office ended up giving these people my own contact information and they called and apparently will be suing me for whatever, rights to the dog or the cost of the dog? (They also are apparently mad that I had their dog neutered).

The proof of ownership these people have that I've been show is a CKC registration for the dog and initial vaccine records. He didn't have a microchip until I had one implanted, and he never came in with tags or anything. He had a shock/training collar and we tried to get information going by the number on the box on the collar but that got us no where initially. He also wasn't wearing a rabies tag, and the people didn't show any proof of rabies vaccination or state license.

I'm just concerned now that they will be "pressing charges" or so they say. What can they do and do they have grounds to sue?
I've kept all the information from everything I've done with the dog, including the contract, medical history, communication with the people who tried adopting, etc.

Hot Topic

I think you made a good faith effort to find out who the owner of the dog was and that you shouldn't worry about any threats made.

It was a bad, bad idea for others to put a shock collar on this dog.

As far as I know, the AKC is the "top dog" when it comes to registering our four footed friends.

Good luck to you.

Jendor

I'd say definitely don't lose any sleep over the threats. The person can attempt to sue, but I don't think they would win if they try. Over a MONTH went by, and these people didn't care enough to contact the shelters, etc themselves looking for "their" dog. No microchip, no tags, I doubt they would have any true way of proving it was ever their dog vs. any other dog of that same breed as to what is on their papers.

I'd speculate the person who called the office and got updates likely was a verbal bully to the receptionist or whoever gave updates. Seeing how this same person has you concerned about the possibility of getting sued, I can see where it's possible someone else felt intimidated to share the updates.

While I don't usually don't favor the idea of our four-legged friends being regarded as "property" by most laws (as far as I'm aware of anyways), it sounds to me like your dog would be viewed as "abandoned property" on part of the person claiming to be the original owner

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">