• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former Employer Has Failed to Pay Judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soapygirl

What is the name of your state? New York

I have sued a former (small) employer for failure to pay wages. He never appeared in court and the judgement was sent to him along with an information subpoena. He hasn't answered anything eventhough I have proof of receipt.

What to do now? I have no idea where his personal assets are and the company name has changed since my employment with him. Should I subpoena all major banks in NY looking for business and personal accounts in his name and/or the new company name? I've been told to file a contempt of court proceeding but can I do that and what will that accomplish?

Thanks

BL

What is the name of your state? New York

I have sued a former (small) employer for failure to pay wages. He never appeared in court and the judgement was sent to him along with an information subpoena. He hasn't answered anything eventhough I have proof of receipt.

What to do now? I have no idea where his personal assets are and the company name has changed since my employment with him. Should I subpoena all major banks in NY looking for business and personal accounts in his name and/or the new company name? I've been told to file a contempt of court proceeding but can I do that and what will that accomplish?

Thanks

LOL I did the info. subpoena once , and even though failure to respond or some such is contempt and punishable by a misdemeanor .

Go for the assets , or ask the clerk of the court for a transcript of judgment to enter into the COUNTY Clerk's OFFICE . If the creditor is doing business , they will pay .

Otherwise look at attachments such as bank account , etc .

Last edited:

soapygirl

ask the clerk of the court for a judgment to enter into the COUNTY Clerk's OFFICE

Silly question: Why is County clerk office different from what I already did? I filed in New York County. Isn't is already entered as a judgment?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">