• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former Employer Threatening to Sue-Is he in Breach of Contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AngryBirdNJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hi everyone,

I previously posted another thread a couple of days ago, but there have been a few updates to my story...if this needs to be moved I will gladly do so! Here it goes:

I recently resigned from my previous company due to large amounts of stress and mistreatment. I was working over 60 hours a week (which I didn't mind because I was working on a project and I do not have children or a husband so I wasn't being taken away from family), I worked all of 4th of July weekend, through my vacation (in another country) and all of Labor Day weekend. I was the sole employee working any holidays. My boss constantly screamed and cursed at me, even over things I had nothing to do with. I had spoken to him twice about it and the third time I decided to resign. I began suffering anxiety, stress, my migraines were getting worse and more frequent. I just wanted to be free of this place.

I had a contract with my employer in which there was no set amount of time I had to stay there, nothing about giving a certain amount of time for notice. During my time there I was awarded 3 bonuses: A 50 inch flatscreen tv in July, $1000 in August, and $191.25 in September (2 weeks before I resigned). My boss hired an attorney (well, it's an attorney who he has been working with on another case in which my boss is being sued by a former employer) and I am being threatened to be sued. I had to hand back company issued equipment (not a problem, handed it back today to the lawyer). The lawyer is stating that I have to give ALL of my bonuses back. I asked repeatedly for a copy of my offer letter. All requests were ignored. Today I began digging through every piece of paper I had and luckily pulled out my offer letter. In it states "If an employee resigns from XXXX within 60 days of receiving a bonus, then that most recent bonus will be deducted from their final pay." I resigned AFTER I received my final pay. Does this mean the only bonus I must return is the $191.25? That is the most recent I received.

How should I respond? They are really trying to force me to pay everything back and have the TV delivered to the office. They also refused to produce a copy of my offer letter and I think it's because they know they are wrong.

Thanks in advance!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not having read your offer letter (why did you not take the elementary precaution of taking or keeping a copy of it when you were sent it?), we have no idea whether your employer is in breach of contract - or if there is even a contract at all. Most offer letters do not reach the level of a contract. In fact, given that it does not specify a defined period of time, there is every likelihood that it is NOT a contract.

OHRoadwarrior

Was the $1000 paid to you within 60 days of you resigning? Myself, I would send a note the agreement only says you must return the last bonus, along with a check for $191.25.

AngryBirdNJ

Not having read your offer letter (why did you not take the elementary precaution of taking or keeping a copy of it when you were sent it?), we have no idea whether your employer is in breach of contract - or if there is even a contract at all. Most offer letters do not reach the level of a contract. In fact, given that it does not specify a defined period of time, there is every likelihood that it is NOT a contract.
The lawyer who has sent me the demand letter referred to it as my offer letter. Regardless, he is insisting I pay back everything and give the television back, however the offer letter both my boss and I signed when I accepted the position states I give back the most recent bonus.

AngryBirdNJ

Was the $1000 paid to you within 60 days of you resigning? Myself, I would send a note the agreement only says you must return the last bonus, along with a check for $191.25.
It was given to me in August, however the most recent bonus I received was 2 weeks before I resigned on September 30th for the amount of $191.25. I truly believe they were withholding a copy of the original letter (which I had misplaced in a move to a new home) because I would find this clause.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The only advice I have for you is to consult your own lawyer - one who can read the associated documentation.

AngryBirdNJ

I would agree .. pay it with a method that your get a receipt .. like a check
That's exactly what I did. I wrote a letter and had a friend who is in law school take a look at it. He said it was good to go so I attached a copy of the page including the bonus clause and a check for $191.25. We'll see how that goes. I sent it FedEx, direct signature required.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">