• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Former Roommate threatening to tell police im a drugdealer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PaulyMcPaul

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas.

I had a roommate and we entered a legally binding agreement as well as a verbal agreement to share the rent of our two bedroom apartment. The past two months my roommate has skipped out on rent and bills and has left all of his belongings at my aparment. He owes me about 1200 dollars and is refusing to answer my phonecalls. He and his mother have informed me that if I try to take any legal action to obtain the monies owed me, that they will tell the local police that I am a drugdealer (which is completely untrue) and if I try to obtain it in any way that they will tell the police that, and where I live. What do I do?

If you are not involved with illegal drugs, then your roommate's thread is empty and you have nothing to fear from the police searching your apartment.

Some Random Guy

If you are not involved with illegal drugs, then your roommate's thread is empty and you have nothing to fear from the police searching your apartment.
Assume nothing. Do not agree to let the police search your place. The former roommate had full access to the apartment and has left piles of their belongings there. Lord only knows how many drug stashes are in there. Actually, the former roomie may know and may be providing the police with that info, claiming it belonged to our poster.

If you truly had a "legally binding" agreement, then sue him in small claims court.

PaulyMcPaul

Very good advice, but also be aware that the police could obtain a search warrant based on your ex-roommate's statement.
Ok so, Im kind of getting conflicting advice. If he has stashed drugs in my place and I cant find them....Then why should I go ahead and sue him? Im afraid that he will tell the police that I am a drugdealer and then the cops will come and I will get in trouble. What do I do?

Can they really obtain a search warrant off of the hearsay of my ex roommate? Should I just tell a lawyer that he is blackmailing me like that?

Can they really obtain a search warrant off of the hearsay of my ex roommate? Should I just tell a lawyer that he is blackmailing me like that?
If your ex-roommate says that he saw you dealing drugs, that would constitute probable cause for a search warrant. If you do decide to go ahead and sue, then certainly tell your lawyer about the threat.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">