• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Found a Wallet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I found a wallet in my taxi with a few hundred dollars in it plus many thousands of dollars in gift certificates. Is this mine since it is abandoned property? It does have identifiable information. Would it make a difference if I found it in the street versus my taxi?

pattytx

For heaven's sake, guy, do the right thing and turn it over to the police. Not doing so is tantamount to stealing; you KNOW who left it. It's not abandoned, it's lost. In fact, if it is not claimed after some period of time, you MAY be entitled to it as found property, but since it has identifying information in it, don't count on that happening.

Don't you have to agree to turn over property left in your taxi in order to get a hack license?

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

It is not abandoned property.

There are sources of found property. Lost, mislaid, and abandoned.

Mislaid property is intentionally placed somewhere by the true owner who later forgets he left it there.

Lost property is inadvertently separated from its true owner.

Abandoned property is intentionally place somewhere by the true owner with the intention of terminating possession and ownership.

The intention is presumed by the circumstances. It can be presumed that no true owner abandons cash.

What you have is lost property.

At common law, the finder could keep the found property unless the true owner showed up looking for it. Most jurisdictions now have statutes regarding found property, and every one I'm aware of involves turning the property over to the police, or at least making the police aware of the property (in the case where the property cannot easily be turned over). Failure to turn over found property is often a criminal act.

You Are Guilty

Read TLC Rule 2-59 (again). In addition to being criminally charged if you take the money, you will likely be the subject of a hack license revocation hearing.

latigo

I’m not buying any this of this bit of serendipity. I think it was conceived out of whole cloth in a weak attempt at amusing others.

Someone having found valuable property under circumstances where the item was obviously misplaced and not abandoned with the identity and address of the owner clearly indicated - and having the inclination to appropriate the property would not be asking such a question.

Nor do I believe that the OP is a New York City taxi driver that is “toying” with the idea of playing Santa Clause!

Yes it really is the case. I'm actually a (small-time) trader who works part-time as a taxi driver for steady income in NYC.

I think there are a few things that are working in my favor here. The man who left the wallet is certainly guilty of idiocy. It might be argued that he deserved to lose the wallet in exchange for his reckless forgetfulness. Then of course, he's also exceedingly wealthy, as many of my taxi customers are, why does he deserve to carry around such a huge $$$ amount of gift certificates to luxury stores while there are so many New Yorkers who are unable to put food on the table this holiday season through no fault of their own?

Mnemosyne

And how do you know that the gift certificates were not meant as door prizes for a holiday charity auction?

You are no more deserving of carrying the cash and certificates than the owner of the wallet. These items are not yours. Turn them over to law enforcement.

Yes it really is the case. I'm actually a (small-time) trader who works part-time as a taxi driver for steady income in NYC.

I think there are a few things that are working in my favor here. The man who left the wallet is certainly guilty of idiocy. It might be argued that he deserved to lose the wallet in exchange for his reckless forgetfulness. Then of course, he's also exceedingly wealthy, as many of my taxi customers are, why does he deserve to carry around such a huge $$$ amount of gift certificates to luxury stores while there are so many New Yorkers who are unable to put food on the table this holiday season through no fault of their own?

Mass_Shyster

I think there are a few things that are working in my favor here.
The only thing working in your favor it that it is unlikely that you will ever get caught committing your crime. You can rationalize your criminal behavior any way you choose. Just don't come to a legal site and look for support.

Here is what I will do, I will donate the money and certificates to a charitable organization of my choice in the name of Robin Hood, then I will return the wallet sans money and certificates back to the doorman of the residence the man lives in with a note that said a charitable donation has been made and thank you? Do you know how hard a DA would laugh at a situation like that?

justalayman

Do you know how hard a DA would laugh at a situation like that?
sure, laughing at you. While he is at dinner with the owner of the wallet, he'll say "can you believe that idiot? He thought stealing your money and giving it to charity somehow made the crime any less of a crime."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">