• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

samerine92

GA- Ok i sold a vehicle 5 months ago off of craigslist. i am a private party not a dealer. The lady when she came didnt even bring a mechanic to check out the vehicle. She signed a bill of sale stating the vehicle is AS IS and she takes full responsibility for the vehicle and she already has the vehicle in her name and has been driving it for months now. She messaged me on FACEBOOK stating she is filing FRAUD charges against me and my fiance because the truck broke and the transmission went out. when clearly she signed a bill of sale stating AS IS!! i dont have a copy of it because my copier wasn't working but she has the bill of sale and she even told me it does. BUT i do have the bill of sale i saved to my bookmarks thats printable. it says AS IS on it and that she has to take responsibility of the vehicle from time of possession. She is saying that this is fraud because we lied to her and said nothing was wrong with vehicle and she found a post i was talking to my friend on facebook about the Durango because he asked if i sold it i said yes and asked why i said because the transimission is fixing to go out because it has 250000 miles on it. 1) i never stated that we suckered a lady into buying it because it was fixing to go out 2) we were assuming that it might go out because of mileage which anyone should do that 3) its the buyers obligation to ask questions about the vehicle and bring a mechanic if they want to look at it 4) this was 5 months ago! 5) we told her we have never had trouble with it which i never did, yes it leaked but we fixed that leak with a new gasket which my fiance did his self at home in our garage because he works on his own vehicles. No lawyer will even think about taking this to court will they? After all she purchased a USED vehicle that ocst $2500 dollars with over 250,000 miles on it and signed the title to herself already and signed a AS IS bill of sale. we are not a dealer, we did not sign anything stating that the vehicle will last such an amount of time. She keeps messaging me saying"SEE YOU IN JAIL" which is harrassment. BY LAW AS A PRIVATE PARTY SELLER WE ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO SHARE ANY INFORMATION WE DONT WANT TO ABOUT A VEHICLE WE WANT TO SELL IT ESPECIALLY SINCE WE ARE A PRIVATE PARTY NOT A DEALERSHIP, BUT WE DID SHARE INFORMATION THAT WE KNEW WHICH WAS THAT IT NEVER MESSED UP FOR US WHEN WE HAD IT!She says she has talked to a DA and DA's only deal with criminal law am i right?? We asked someone who use to be a DA and a Lawyer and he stated" She is just trying to scare you, no lawyer or DA will work on a case like this because she bought a used vehicle with no warranty from a private party with a bill of sale saying AS IS" So i believe him but i want to know your thoughts. We had NO IDEA that the transmission was going out on the truck which it didn't she said it lost reverse!! and the air doesnt work which when we had it and when she TEST drove it everything was fine. Please let me know your opinions. I am scared because she is harassing me only IM not scared because this is ridiculous, i just bought a truck for 2500 dollars and its breaking down on me but i know i signed a bill of sale stating AS IS and im not taking this to a lawyer because its a USED vehicle! Thanks so much

Antigone*

GA- Ok i sold a vehicle 5 months ago off of craigslist. i am a private party not a dealer. The lady when she came didnt even bring a mechanic to check out the vehicle. She signed a bill of sale stating the vehicle is AS IS and she takes full responsibility for the vehicle and she already has the vehicle in her name and has been driving it for months now. She messaged me on FACEBOOK stating she is filing FRAUD charges against me and my fiance because the truck broke and the transmission went out. when clearly she signed a bill of sale stating AS IS!! i dont have a copy of it because my copier wasn't working but she has the bill of sale and she even told me it does. BUT i do have the bill of sale i saved to my bookmarks thats printable. it says AS IS on it and that she has to take responsibility of the vehicle from time of possession. She is saying that this is fraud because we lied to her and said nothing was wrong with vehicle and she found a post i was talking to my friend on facebook about the Durango because he asked if i sold it i said yes and asked why i said because the transimission is fixing to go out because it has 250000 miles on it. 1) i never stated that we suckered a lady into buying it because it was fixing to go out 2) we were assuming that it might go out because of mileage which anyone should do that 3) its the buyers obligation to ask questions about the vehicle and bring a mechanic if they want to look at it 4) this was 5 months ago! 5) we told her we have never had trouble with it which i never did, yes it leaked but we fixed that leak with a new gasket which my fiance did his self at home in our garage because he works on his own vehicles. No lawyer will even think about taking this to court will they? After all she purchased a USED vehicle that ocst $2500 dollars with over 250,000 miles on it and signed the title to herself already and signed a AS IS bill of sale. we are not a dealer, we did not sign anything stating that the vehicle will last such an amount of time. She keeps messaging me saying"SEE YOU IN JAIL" which is harrassment. BY LAW AS A PRIVATE PARTY SELLER WE ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO SHARE ANY INFORMATION WE DONT WANT TO ABOUT A VEHICLE WE WANT TO SELL IT ESPECIALLY SINCE WE ARE A PRIVATE PARTY NOT A DEALERSHIP, BUT WE DID SHARE INFORMATION THAT WE KNEW WHICH WAS THAT IT NEVER MESSED UP FOR US WHEN WE HAD IT!She says she has talked to a DA and DA's only deal with criminal law am i right?? We asked someone who use to be a DA and a Lawyer and he stated" She is just trying to scare you, no lawyer or DA will work on a case like this because she bought a used vehicle with no warranty from a private party with a bill of sale saying AS IS" So i believe him but i want to know your thoughts. We had NO IDEA that the transmission was going out on the truck which it didn't she said it lost reverse!! and the air doesnt work which when we had it and when she TEST drove it everything was fine. Please let me know your opinions. I am scared because she is harassing me only IM not scared because this is ridiculous, i just bought a truck for 2500 dollars and its breaking down on me but i know i signed a bill of sale stating AS IS and im not taking this to a lawyer because its a USED vehicle! Thanks so much
Ignore her.

sandyclaus

...i was talking to my friend on facebook about the Durango because he asked if i sold it i said yes and asked why i said because the transimission is fixing to go out because it has 250000 miles on it...

...We had NO IDEA that the transmission was going out on the truck...
Did anyone else notice these two conflicting statements in OP's post?

First, he knew about the bad transimission (sic), then they had NO IDEA about it. Nice of them to pawn off a bad vehicle on their unsuspecting buyer.

But I digress. Truth is, this is why a lot of people sell their older vehicles. There are problems, and there are FUTURE problems that they don't want to pay to get fixed, so they simply sell away their troubles to the next sucker and hope for the best. While I find that morally repugnant, in Georgia it is NOT illegal or fraudulent to do that.

It is a world filled with people who get over on others by selling off their undesirables, but if the unsuspecting buyer was not smart enough to have a full mechanical inspection of their vehicle before they completed the sale, then they really have no legal recourse here. I am also not necessarily convinced that this transmission issue would have been discovered, considering the fact that it was 5 months later that the seller comes back and complains about it breaking down. ANYTHING could have happened in that 5-month period. Additionally, the fact remains that it was a vehicle with 250k miles on it, and major parts start breaking down after driving a vehicle that long.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">