• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

fraudulant landlord damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

strictlystyles

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware
I took my landlord to court that was charging me for damages that i think were ridiculous and not worth the money. So we went to court and my landlord said they were no longer suing me for damages. However the judge dismissed it without prejudice. So if they wanted the damages they would have to sue me. Two years later i see the landlord reported the damages as unpaid to the credit bureau without notification or actually taking me to court. I then filed a another suit against them. I took the previous judgement to court from 2010 that said they weren't asking for damages and didn't plan on doing so. The judge saw the previous judgement and was totally on my side, going back and forth with the defendant about how they didnt notify me or take me to court for the damages. The judge even seemed very annoyed with the defendant. Their defense was that I still owed the money. The judge then proceeded to tell me that she(judge) doesnt have any jurisdiction on the case and that i need to get a lawyer. the judge banged her gavel and it was over. Tell me what went wrong. Why wouldn't the judge rule in my favor? Why couldn't I have represented myself with the evidence i had? What would be the difference if i had a lawyer since the judge wouldn't rule in my favor to begin with? Should I sue my landlord in a higher court? Do i really need a lawyer? Tell me my options please!!!

swalsh411

So your main issue is that it's on your credit report? If so, dispute the record on your credit report. You do not need to go to court to do this.

BL

What kind of suit did you file against the prior LL?

Perhaps what the Judge said was true ,that court wouldn't have jurisdiction over the matter you sued for ,and you would then need a lawyer .

Send a copy of the prior order with your dispute to the CRA's and ask the report to be removed, as was advised.

strictlystyles

What kind of suit did you file against the prior LL?

Perhaps what the Judge said was true ,that court wouldn't have jurisdiction over the matter you sued for ,and you would then need a lawyer .

Send a copy of the prior order with your dispute to the CRA's and ask the report to be removed, as was advised.[/Q

All i did was went to my local court house for small claims court to dispute the charges against me because in the first court case the judgement stated that the LL wasn't suing or asking for damages but they still sent to the credit bureaus. How is that even legal against the prior judgement we had? Why wouldn't i be able to represent myself with my own evidence. The charges from the landlord are unethical as well.

strictlystyles

So your main issue is that it's on your credit report? If so, dispute the record on your credit report. You do not need to go to court to do this.
So even though I sent my previous landlord to court and the ending judgement in writing was that the defendant was not seeking or suing for damages and is not likely to do so. However the judge did dismiss without prejudice so if the defendant wanted the money they would have to take me to court but they didn't. They just put it on my credit. How is that legal for them to do against the ending judgement we already had? Do I need a different court? Why do i need a lawyer for the judge to make a ruling? I thought i could represent myself with the hard evidence I had

swalsh411

So even though I sent my previous landlord to court and the ending judgement in writing was that the defendant was not seeking or suing for damages and is not likely to do so. However the judge did dismiss without prejudice so if the defendant wanted the money they would have to take me to court but they didn't. They just put it on my credit. How is that legal for them to do against the ending judgement we already had? Do I need a different court? Why do i need a lawyer for the judge to make a ruling? I thought i could represent myself with the hard evidence I had
What part of my earlier answer did you not understand? Dispute the incorrect record on your credit report.

BL

The fact is the prior LL did NOT refile against you .

I ask what you were seeking when YOU filed against the LL .

I suggest you read what small claims court is about .

Again, File a dispute with the CRAs to remove the reort(s).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">