• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraudulent Letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

designer23666

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
NY suffolk cty
I received what I believe to be a fraudulent letter from an attorney requesting that I owe an ex room-mate money and I've been ordered to contact this person to discuss payment. I don't owe this person anything and have been avoiding her at great costs. She has been harassing me since I moved out. I moved out because she expressed romantic feelings for me and "my door doesn't swing that way". Anyway she started acting obsessive and threatening to kill herself If I left. I stuck around shortly after that- I don't want to be responsible for any of that. I stayed until it just got too overwhelming. I moved out a year ago, moved in with my boyfriend and she has still not given up. there has been several problems with her over this past year and now they've escalated to me being in absolute fear. she's managed to get an order of protection against my boyfriend (whom she's only met a few times) saying that he went to her house threatening her. She's constantly calling the cops saying he calls her and drives past her house and so on.... he's already been in jail 2x.
I received the letter this past monday at around 9 pm. A very un-official young woman came to my door in jeans and a tee shirt - she looked like she hadn't showered in a week. My boyfriend answered the door, she asked if I lived there and he answered yes, she handed him a piece of paper folded in 3 and walked away... he read it and flipped out. So i grabbed it and off the bat it looked fishy to me. No letterhead, no return address, misspellings, incorrect terminology... the only contact information was an email address... a yahoo address. by this time the girl was gone. so I went to the precinct and handed it to one of the officers. She looked at it for 5 seconds and said "it's funny because some one else was here with the same type of letter from the same lawyer and same complaintant". She said it was possible this girl is sueing 2 people at once and for me to look up the docket number and send an email to the address given asking for the attorney's credentials. So I did. I searched the attorney's name to see if I could get a phone number - nothing, I searched my local courts "online" to see if the docket number existed - nothing and I emailed the "lawyer" and haven't received a response yet (it's been 24 hrs)
I guess my question is: Is there anything that can be done about this situation - and if so any clues on where to start.
I cannot take the constant turmoil any Longer
PLEASE HELPWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

Send another email asking for the attorney's State Bar number.

If nothing comes back, you know for sure it's a scam, and you are free to ignore it and go on with your life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">