• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraudulent Marriage Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Glena

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio. My husband filed for divorce and I have an attorney handling that. His only claim is incompatibility. Filling out the interrogotories I discovered he was still married to his first wife. My attorney is working on the common law marriage aspect. My question is depending on the out come of the divorce can I sue him in small claim court for fraudulent contract? He's disabled and hasn't worked since 1997 and is after 40% of my income and 29% of my military retirement.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You wouldn't take this to a small claims action. It will all remain in the divorce proceedings.

Glena

Thanks

Apparenty one of the states we've lived in; Colorado recognizes common law. Hopefully not all of the requriements were met. Having lived there only 3 years, he shouldn't get a big chunk of my income, maybe none at all. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">