• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraudulent Pageant - Do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

km1981

Earlier this year I paid $750 in mandatory fees to compete in a state pageant that I believed was a preliminary to a valid national pageant. The director was using a state title that is owned by the national pageant, and she specifically said that the winner would go on to the national pageant, the major prize being the national entry fee covered. I won the state title and spent almost $2000 preparing for the national pageant, and my parents booked nonrefundable flights to see me compete. This past May I found out purely by chance that according to the national pageant's website, my state title had been taken by someone else and after speaking to the national director I found out that she had never even heard of my state director and we were not affiliated in any way. I realized that the title I had wasn't legitimate and my director offered to "provide a cash award in place" if I chose to end my reign now. I have since resigned but she never provided any cash award, and she has made a profit of over $8000 without providing anything she promised. I have lots of documentation that she illegally used the state title, as well as her on video saying that we were going to the national pageant, however, she is saying that because the contract she gave us says that she can refuse national participation for any reason, she doesn't owe me anything. She never refused participation, she just did not provide what she advertised. My main argument is that she said she would provide a cash award if I chose to resign (I have proof in the email) and she did not provide anything. Do I have a case at all? ANY advice would be appreciated. Thank you -What is the name of your state?

las365

What state are you in?

If she defrauded you, she also presumably defrauded all of the entrants. You may want to look into contacting other contestants to see whether they want to band together to make a demand. Sometimes there is strength in numbers. Obviously, your damages are different than theirs, though, and you have two incidents (the original entry fee and the offer to pay upon resignation) where they probably only have one.

You can also contact your state attorney general or your local district attorney's office to find out whether she may be subject to criminal charges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">