• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fraudulent Raffle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maverick_11

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
We recently found out that the pastor of our church "supposedly" fixed 2 powerball raffles so that the "winner" was either non-existant or deceased and managed to cover it up for a while. Well, now that case is going to court amid a lot of other charges. My question is this, since there was no way I could have won the raffle, am I, along with everyone else who bought a ticket, entitled to a refund, along with punitive damages (such as I could have won $100K if it were a legit raffle).

Thanks for any input.

BL

If in fact the Paster is found guilty of the Raffle Fraud , He/She can be ordered to pay restitution . The cost of the ticket(s).

justalayman

If in fact the Paster is found guilty of the Raffle Fraud , He/She can be ordered to pay restitution . The cost of the ticket(s).
Reminds me of an old joke.

Bobs donkey dies. Jim says he'll take car of it if Bob wants. Bob says ok.

Next thing Bob sees is that Jim is raffling off a donkey at $5 a ticket..Jim sells 75 tickets. So the drawing goes on and and the winner (Jack) comes to Jim's house to pick up the donkey. Jack sees the donkey is dead and complains that it isn't right. He expected a live donkey.

So, Jim says to him,,,,,, ok, fine, here is your $5 back.

Moral of the story? There isn't one.

Bottom line, you are only going to get your actual damages and that is the value of the ticket.

What i want to know is the same thing KTL asked; how do you fix a Powerball drawing?

JETX

since there was no way I could have won the raffle, am I, along with everyone else who bought a ticket, entitled to a refund, along with punitive damages (such as I could have won $100K if it were a legit raffle).
No. At best you would only be 'entitled' to your actual damages... the cost of the ticket(s) you purchased.
And even to get that... you would have to file a lawsuit, get a judgment and then have to try to collect from the pastor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">