• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Freedom of speech. Insults. threats, harassment? Definitions and punishments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

1. Don't use the preview feature of this website, it's broken.
2. This site is for US Law Only
3. Please post the question exactly once.
4. We do not do homework.

Averyius

Thank you for your reply, Dear Flying Ron

1. Don't use the preview feature of this website, it's broken.
2. This site is for US Law Only
3. Please post the question exactly once.
4. We do not do homework.
Thank you for your speedy reply. I did write that I wanted to know about the law in the USA. In most things it is more or less the same as in other modern democracies.
What do you men by "Homework"? The forum is for people seeking information and advice. Does not any help and advice usually require some amount of research? I get the impression you are not a friendly person?

quincy

Thank you for your speedy reply. I did write that I wanted to know about the law in the USA. In most things it is more or less the same as in other modern democracies.
What do you men by "Homework"? The forum is for people seeking information and advice. Does not any help and advice usually require some amount of research? I get the impression you are not a friendly person?
FlyingRon's post was not friendly or unfriendly. He informed you of several things.

One, how to post a question: The "preview feature" on this site doesn't work for all people for some reason and, instead of posting the question, it will delete the question. FlyingRon advised you not to preview your post before submitting it.

Two, this site handles U.S. law questions only because the laws in ALL countries vary in significant ways, even in democracies. Insults, harassment and threats are all handled differently under these laws, not only in other countries but also from state to state in the U.S. That is why you are asked to provide the name of your state. FlyingRon provided you with a hint to provide your state name. We ask for the state name for a reason.

Three, we have been getting several "double and triple thread" postings and these require extra effort on the part of volunteers and the moderators of the site. FlyingRon advised you to post only once. Only one thread will remain on the board anyway, as the others will be removed by the moderators.

Four, FlyingRon told you that we do not help with homework questions and we generally do not entertain hypothetical questions. If you have a specific legal question concerning a real legal problem, the volunteers on this site will try to provide you with an accurate legal answer and advice and direction.

"Freedom of speech" has a specific application under the law and it does not mean what many people think it means. It does not mean, for example, that you have the right to post to someone's privately-owned website. It is up to the owners of the website to decide if they will allow you to post, and what they will allow you to post.

And freedom of speech has limits in the real world - although you may be able to say whatever you want, there can be consequences to your speech. Some speech that may result in legal consequences are threats and harassment. Insults rarely rise to the level of defamation but, when they do, they can also result in legal consequences.

I recommend that you provide the name of your state and your legal question, and I strongly recommend you avoid insulting those from whom you seek advice. Insulting those from whom you want help is not a very good way to get what you want.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">