• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend got abandoned title for my vehicle while watching it for me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chris.hogan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

I am currently in Brazil, and in the next couple of weeks I'll be moving back to the states with my wife. Before leaving for Brazil, my friend said he would watch my vehicle for me. I've tried to stay in touch with them through facebook, but whenever I asked about my things (a few kitchen wares, my guitar and my car) they would avoid answering me. I've been here for about 3.5 years, and now that my wife has her Green Card we're moving back, but I found out about 3 weeks ago that my friend got an abandoned title for my car and according to the state now is the rightful owner.

I still have all of the documentation of when I bought it, the bill of sale, the title transfer paperwork and original registration all in my name. I however don't have the title as when I bought the car from the dealership, they went out of business and didn't submit the title transfer paperwork to the state.

Is there anything I can do to get my car back, or get any kind of compensation for the vehicle that he took from me?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I am currently in Brazil, and in the next couple of weeks I'll be moving back to the states with my wife. Before leaving for Brazil, my friend said he would watch my vehicle for me. I've tried to stay in touch with them through facebook, but whenever I asked about my things (a few kitchen wares, my guitar and my car) they would avoid answering me. I've been here for about 3.5 years, and now that my wife has her Green Card we're moving back, but I found out about 3 weeks ago that my friend got an abandoned title for my car and according to the state now is the rightful owner.

I still have all of the documentation of when I bought it, the bill of sale, the title transfer paperwork and original registration all in my name. I however don't have the title as when I bought the car from the dealership, they went out of business and didn't submit the title transfer paperwork to the state.

Is there anything I can do to get my car back, or get any kind of compensation for the vehicle that he took from me?
Offer to buy his vehicle from him.

chris.hogan

And why dont you offer your mother some grocery money or move out of her basement. Maybe keep things to some kind of real legal advice. If there's no way to recover, I'd prefer to hear that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And why dont you offer your mother some grocery money or move out of her basement. Maybe keep things to some kind of real legal advice. If there's no way to recover, I'd prefer to hear that.
Because there IS a way to recover your vehicle. I gave it to you.

And, thanks for the comment about my mother. I'm sure the basement (under her grave) will be more roomy once I move out.

quincy

I agree with Zigner. You can potentially recover your vehicle by offering to buy it from your friend.

And that is legal advice. Illegal advice would be to just take back the car from its legally-registered owner.

If your friend is willing to sell the car, you might be able to negotiate a price for the car that covers only the storage fees and costs incurred by your friend (registration renewal fees, excise taxes, annual inspection fee, etc) to watch the vehicle for three and a half years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">