• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend let her tenants use my sofa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meshele74

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? RI I had my sofa in my friends garage for 12 months she said I could keep it there for as long as I needed when I attempted to get my sofa back she told me that her tenants were using it After getting the police involved and able to get my sofa It is all stained and has burn holes in it This sofa was 3 years lightly used for one year sat in storage for 10 months and was in her garage after that till she let her tenanats use it and ruin it

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? RI I had my sofa in my friends garage for 12 months she said I could keep it there for as long as I needed when I attempted to get my sofa back she told me that her tenants were using it After getting the police involved and able to get my sofa It is all stained and has burn holes in it This sofa was 3 years lightly used for one year sat in storage for 10 months and was in her garage after that till she let her tenanats use it and ruin it
That sucks - I hope you've found a new friend.

justalayman

a three year old, even lightly used, is not going to be worth much. To calculate the value the value, take the purchase price, multiply it by .25, then subtract that number from itself and that's about what it is worth.

just kidding but realistically a couch that sat in a garage for a year is probably not worth much more than that. Rodent infestation is quite common and would render the couch worthless if there was any.

meshele74

a three year old, even lightly used, is not going to be worth much. To calculate the value the value, take the purchase price, multiply it by .25, then subtract that number from itself and that's about what it is worth.

just kidding but realistically a couch that sat in a garage for a year is probably not worth much more than that. Rodent infestation is quite common and would render the couch worthless if there was any.

it wasnt in the garage for a year cause she was letting her tenants use it and It was wrapped in plastic and a moving blanket

justalayman

it wasnt in the garage for a year cause she was letting her tenants use it and It was wrapped in plastic and a moving blanket
plastic and a moving blanket will not prevent rodents. Unless it is actually sealed airtight won;t prevent insect infestation and even then, depending on the type of insect it may not even prevent insects.

how do you know when it was moved into the house?

do you know if the tenants rent the entire house, including the garage?

If you have any claim it is against your former friend. A used couch is not going to be worth much and one that sat around, as far as you knew, in a garage for a year is worth even less. Whether you have a valid claim against your friend I cannot say. Their version of the story will have told as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">