• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A "friend" that offered to watch my dog will not give my dog back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Juliagirard

My Aunt sold me my dog. I gave her $100 as a deposit and then later paid another $100. I got into a terrible car wreck 8 hours before my insurance became effective. My Aunt understood the situation and told me to just make payments when I can. After the wreck I decided that I would eventually move in with my Dad in Miami and experience something different. I asked my mom to watch my dog for me because my landlord found out I had a dog and she said that I couldn't keep him there, but I was moving in a month so my mom offered to help watch him until I leave. During that time I don't what happened. She was dating this Guy and he had one of my dogs brothers. My mom called me and asked if it was okay for that guy to take them hiking and let him play with his brother/the other dog. I didn't mind I said that would be fine. I ended up coming to stay with my mom and when I asked her if I could get my dog back she said no. That he had taken my dog to the vet to get shots and that I now needed to pay him back for the vet visit. I had never said it was okay for him to take my dog to the vet, I wasn't even aware until after he already did it. I agreed to pay him back for the vet bill because I felt it was morally right. I asked him multiple time and in different ways for the vet bill or at least a picture of my dog and I have yet to get a response. My aunt said that he paid her the final money I owed on the dog but she didn't feel comfortable cashing it because it is my dog. She also said that the dog is legally mine since I paid the deposit. I don't know what to do or how to approach the situation. It's been over a month now and I'm leaving to move soon and I just want my dog.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How much time did you actually spend with the dog? Realistically, your best bet is to get a new dog when you're settled in at your new place.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
My Aunt sold me my dog. I gave her $100 as a deposit and then later paid another $100. I got into a terrible car wreck 8 hours before my insurance became effective. My Aunt understood the situation and told me to just make payments when I can. After the wreck I decided that I would eventually move in with my Dad in Miami and experience something different. I asked my mom to watch my dog for me because my landlord found out I had a dog and she said that I couldn't keep him there, but I was moving in a month so my mom offered to help watch him until I leave. During that time I don't what happened. She was dating this Guy and he had one of my dogs brothers. My mom called me and asked if it was okay for that guy to take them hiking and let him play with his brother/the other dog. I didn't mind I said that would be fine. I ended up coming to stay with my mom and when I asked her if I could get my dog back she said no. That he had taken my dog to the vet to get shots and that I now needed to pay him back for the vet visit. I had never said it was okay for him to take my dog to the vet, I wasn't even aware until after he already did it. I agreed to pay him back for the vet bill because I felt it was morally right. I asked him multiple time and in different ways for the vet bill or at least a picture of my dog and I have yet to get a response. My aunt said that he paid her the final money I owed on the dog but she didn't feel comfortable cashing it because it is my dog. She also said that the dog is legally mine since I paid the deposit. I don't know what to do or how to approach the situation. It's been over a month now and I'm leaving to move soon and I just want my dog.

It's hard to tell from your post, but how long has the dog been with the friend? And do you have the ability to care for a dog (get it shots, vet care, etc.)?

Juliagirard

Sorry I didn't make this clear but I had him for a month and they have had him for about a month. I am able to take care of him. I am able to take care of him. I never asked for their help except to just watch him for a couple days.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Being realistic...you're leaving "soon". There's no way that you're going to be able to get this matter taken care of through the courts any time "soon" (if at all.) Your best bet is going to be to get settled in to your new home and then look for a new dog. I'm just being realistic here...

Juliagirard

I appreciate you being realistic and honest, but there has to be something I can do to get my dog back. If I paid the deposit the dog is still legally mine. I know this sounds silly but I don't want a new dog, I want my dog back. There has to be something I can do or a way to approach the situation differently to get my dog back. The man who has him doesn't even send me pictures or reply to any of my message.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">