• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend refuses to pay damages to my motorcycle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ermerritt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I recently let a friend borrow my motorcycle in return he would pay my monthly insurance and loan payments. He used the motorcycle for a month and a half and put over 3300 miles on the motorcycle. When he returned the bike i noticed the front tire completly worn out and the oil needing replaced. Also i realized that the exhaust servo motor was broken and needing replaced. This part cost retail $400+. I have asked him to replace the parts that are broken but he refuses. Is there anything legal I can do so that he will pay to fix the parts he damaged? I need serious help because I cannot afford to do this on my own.

swalsh411

You can sue him in small claims court. If the motor is a normal maintenance item though you may have trouble proving he caused it. The tire wear and oil and certainly normal wear and tear. You are still responsible for making the loan payments and insurance.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina

I recently let a friend borrow my motorcycle in return he would pay my monthly insurance and loan payments. He used the motorcycle for a month and a half and put over 3300 miles on the motorcycle. When he returned the bike i noticed the front tire completly worn out and the oil needing replaced. Also i realized that the exhaust servo motor was broken and needing replaced. This part cost retail $400+. I have asked him to replace the parts that are broken but he refuses. Is there anything legal I can do so that he will pay to fix the parts he damaged? I need serious help because I cannot afford to do this on my own.
On a completely unrelated note. It is generally not a good idea to loan your vehicle to others, as in some cases you might be liable if your friend hurt someone else with your vehicle. I think you have negligent entrustment causes of action in South Carolina.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">