• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend scammed me and won't refund money and disconnected his phone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kalypso

Hi,

I live in Nevada. I think my friend scammed many people including my girlfriend and I. I deposited cash for him to buy my ticket for his birthday party in Ireland. Next thing you know he cancelled it and said he would refund everyone. He changed his number and he moved. He has facebook and ignored me. How would I go about getting my $800? He lives in California. I have emails of sending him payment and about his huge party.

OHRoadwarrior

Go to CA and file suit against him in his local small claims court. You may find collecting a judgment difficult even if granted.

OHRoadwarrior

If the friend perpetrated the fraud while in Oregon, OP can likely sue in Oregon and have almost as good a chance of collecting.
True, however, proof of service will likely be cumbersome, expensive and involved. Further, OP only has emails as evidence. Spoofing of an email account is easy to do. The reference you made is contained in the following link.

http://www.lrcvaw.org/laws/orlongarm.pdf

(this link is from a tax deductible non profit org)

Mass_Shyster

True, however, proof of service will likely be cumbersome, expensive and involved. Further, OP only has emails as evidence. Spoofing of an email account is easy to do. The reference you made is contained in the following link.

http://www.lrcvaw.org/laws/orlongarm.pdf

(this link is from a tax deductible non profit org)
It looks like the clerk arranges service in Oregon, and can use US mail or Commercial Carrier, so proof of service shouldn't be difficult. Certainly far less costly than traveling to CA to file, and again for the hearing.

I'd rather have a worthless judgment that only cost me filing fees than a worthless judgment that cost me more than the value of the judgment.

OHRoadwarrior

Actually from what I gleaned it must be through a sheriff or process server. OP should note, as the amount is over $750, the defendant could request a jury trial. OP will be footing the bill for that and will likely need a lawyer if it happens. The case then proceeds like a circuit court case. It might be worth paying a small fee to have his case reviewed by contacting the state bar association first.

kalypso

?

What if I don't have his address? I only know his name but I have a mutual friend who knows where he lives but she won't give me his information or new phone number.

kalypso

Also

I did deposit $150 using my credit card and actually he refunded that but then never paid me the cash I deposited into his account.

kalypso

Was not looking for a smart response

Actually we've known each other 7 years and we hung out a lot but every couple months he moves to a different condo or house. Now I haven't heard anything from him so I'm trying to figure how to do a small court claim when I do not have his address

Last edited by a moderator:

swalsh411

You must know where to find a person in order to serve them.

Now I suppose you could sue "John Doe" and then subpoena the phone company for his address but this isn't something you can do without a lawyer and it's probably not worth it for $800.

I would consider this a $800 lesson on using your head.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">