• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend signed a contract; won't give me the money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oddballtifff

I'm from MINNESOTA.
I sold a car to a former friend of mine, and wasn't very smart about the way I did it, being the first time I sold a car on my own. I transferred the title to him before he finished paying the $500 for the car. He quit his job a week before the last payment of $200 and I had him sign a contract immediately with witnesses saying he would pay me by a certain date. It's been 5 days since he was supposed to pay me and I haven't seen the money and now he is avoiding my calls.

What do I do about this, or take action upon the situation legally? Is it worth my time to for the amount of money it is.. or will it cost me more in the end?

Last edited:

Antigone*

I sold a car to a former friend of mine, and wasn't very smart about the way I did it, being the first time I sold a car on my own. I transferred the title to him before he finished paying the $500 for the car. He quit his job a week before the last payment of $200 and I had him sign a contract immediately with witnesses saying he would pay me by a certain date. It's been 5 days since he was supposed to pay me and I haven't seen the money and now he is avoiding my calls. What do I do about this, or take action upon the situation legally?
US Law Only!!!!!!!!!!!

You could be in Timbucktoo for all we know.

vollbree88

!!

US Law Only!!!!!!!!!!!

You could be in Timbucktoo for all we know.
It says he's in Minnesota. When is that no a place in the US?

Do you know where he lives? Send him a letter certified mail saying that he must call you and set up a payment plan by so and so date. Tell him that if he does not comply you will be forced to bring him to court.

Don't give him forever to pay you, but at least give it one more try with a "nice" little certified letter. Maybe he'll see that your serious about wanting the money and he'll pay you. And if he doesnt--bring him to court!

Antigone*

It says he's in Minnesota. When is that no a place in the US?

Do you know where he lives? Send him a letter certified mail saying that he must call you and set up a payment plan by so and so date. Tell him that if he does not comply you will be forced to bring him to court.

Don't give him forever to pay you, but at least give it one more try with a "nice" little certified letter. Maybe he'll see that your serious about wanting the money and he'll pay you. And if he doesnt--bring him to court!
You can see that he edited his post right, or are you blind as well as idiotic!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">