• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friends motorcycle stolen from garage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Guarczzz

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Dont know if this is the right section but, here goes.

My friend from florida came to visit me in Las vegas, NV ,Well, Long story short he brought his motorcycle and had an emergency back home in florida so he left the bike at my home which was fine by me but, I told him he had to have it out my house within 2 weeks cause by that time i will be taken delivery of a new vehicle. A couple days goes by and i forgot my garage door open over night woke up in the morning and well the bike was gone. Called my friend explained what happened, now hes saying hell sue me cause "I put it outside" I dont understand how he could, I understand its my home but, Its not my fault someone stole it he didnt leave me any keys for the thing he just left it for storage.. Can he sue me for this? If so how?

CraigFL

This is what is called "bailment" which means you had possesion of your friends property and you needed to take care of it and keep it safe until it was returned to him. If he can prove gross negligence, like you left your garage door open and it was stolen, you would be liable. You should check with your homeowners policy to see what coverage you may have.

Hopefully, he has insurance and your liability may only be for that amount his insurance won't pay -- like the deductible...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">