• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Friends" put thier Furniture on our Bill, Now Won't Pay up!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wa2rqy

What is the name of your state? Florida

This is a long story and probably more to it then I know.
Hopefully someone has an idea to help us.
Please, only legitimate replies
After moving here(fl) without any furniture, our so-called friends(here) of 35 years took us to a local furniture store where my wife and I selected over $6K worth. While there, our "friends" Seen a dining room set that was on sale and that they liked. We agreed to put it on our bill so they could save delivery charges($89) and the bill would'nt be due for 1 year.
After all was delivered to my house, I put thier stuff in my Mini-Van & brought it around the corner to thier house and moved it in for them with help of my pal, the husband.

I need to add that just before we moved here, the wife was diagnosed with breast cancer.
So far she is doing well but during chemo, she went beserk, cursing, bad temper, etc.
I would do the cooking & helping her due to her weakness from the therapy.
Nothing we did was good enough, Even when we went out to dinner she started up with the waitresses, food undercooked, overcooked, etc.
Even at Dennys, Perkins, All you can eat buffets, you name it.
Every time without a miss, it was embarassing.
So, slowly we started to drift apart. Even the husband was at his wits end & wanted to take her for physcological evaluation but never did.
He mention a few times that WE would always be friends regardless how his wife feels about it, yeah right!
Slowly over the years all her children (3)moved away except one!
And they said they could'nt take it any longer, been that way for years.
I wish they would have told us before we moved here

Now it's been 4 months since we've spoke(I have no reason why)and I have contronted the husband about him paying the $428(w/tax) so I can pay the bill in a few months.
All I get is, "i'll drop it off this week", "my wife knows about it and she'll have it dropped by in a few days".
Sound familiar?
So far nothing & they avoid talking to us, probably because of this issue.
We have not spoken with the wife in 4 months & have now started to not speak with the husband. All The monies are due in March but I started to ask early on for fear of this "Wall" they have created.
Any ideas how to go about (legally if need be) having them pay us for furniture in thier home?
I'd hate to lose his friendship but he gives me the evil eye whenever I see him
Respectfully,
Rich

Betty

I know they are/were friends but you might have to sue them in small claims court to try & collect your money. You can try asking for it again first - you might let them know that you will have no option but to sue if they do not pay up. I assume you still have the bill showing you paid for all items. You would think they wouldn't want to ruin a friendship over just $428.00 & just pay up but it doesn't always happen that way. If they are having a money problem, they shouldn't have bought the furniture. I'm sorry for your predicament.

Unfortunately I don't think having the bill will help. It will simply look like they(OP) purchase the furniture. It's their name on credit app. Unless you have proof of this agreement...and I'm guessing it was simply a verbal agreement between friends...you can't prove it in small claims. It will simply be he said/she said. They will most likely lie when asked if they made that agreement with you. They will probably state that the furniture was a "gift".

I think you might be out the money and some friends. An expensive lesson.

wa2rqy

The Bill is in our name, my wifes and I.
Our friendship with them was going south since the 4th of July anyways.
The bill is due in March, I asked for payment earlier because I figured we would be total enemies by march and wanted to tie up lose ends with them before march.
Yes, they can say it was a gift just as I can say it was'nt.
Why would I buy them a $428 Gift when I need items in my own new house?
I had already given them gifts for helping watch our house before we moved in, like a new $80 knife set, my Sony Digital camera for him to learn on, A digital lawn sprinkler controller and anything else they asked for which I was not going to use!
Geez, not easy keeping friends these days:rolleyes:
Rich

Betty

If they still won't pay you, I still think your only chance of getting your money is to sue them in small claims court. The judge after hearing both sides, will decide whether he believes it was a gift or not (if they claim it was) - you won't automatically lose just because you don't have an agreement in writing.

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to be negative Richard. I was just letting you know the possibilities. To the judge it may look like your debt since it's all under your name. It will depend on the judge you get.

However, simply serving them may scare them into paying you and then you can drop the suit. I think it's worth a try.

I agree it's not easy keeping friends. But it sounds like these friends aren't WORTH having anyway. I would never screw my friends like this.

Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">