• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friends soon to be Ex wants furniture back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigjj

What is the name of your state? VA

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I couldn’t find a better place. This is not something that is currently in the courts, just a question. A little over a year ago I helped out my friend and his wife by offering them some space in my house to store some stuff they didn’t have room for. At that time they gave my wife and I a bedroom suit for a Christmas gift. A few months after that he and his wife decided to part ways. At that time (about 8-9 months ago) I offered to give her back the bedroom suit, verbally, just to be nice. She has not contacted me to get this back since then, so I assumed that she didn’t want it. My wife and I are preparing to move at the end of the month, so I told my buddy to tell his wife that she needed to come get her stuff or it would be thrown out. She contacted me today to say that she would be getting her belongings this weekend. She also brought up the bedroom suit. Since she never contacted me about getting the furniture after I offered it, we started to use it and have made plans for it in our new place. She thinks that since I told her she could have it back that I have to give it back. I disagree because it was given to me at Christmas, and I can do with it what I please. I feel bad about promising it to her and not giving it back, but isn’t it my property now? I don’t want to get dragged into my buddies already messy divorce, but I don’t want to get rid of the bedroom suit. Its nothing special, a queen sized frame, 1 night stand and a dresser with a mirror. I guess my question is...If something is given to me as a gift, then is it mine to do with what I please? Thanks for any help

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Honestly it sounds like another item you "stored" for them and not a "gift". Good luck.

Shay-Pari'e

What is the name of your state? VA

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I couldn’t find a better place. This is not something that is currently in the courts, just a question. A little over a year ago I helped out my friend and his wife by offering them some space in my house to store some stuff they didn’t have room for. At that time they gave my wife and I a bedroom suit for a Christmas gift. A few months after that he and his wife decided to part ways. At that time (about 8-9 months ago) I offered to give her back the bedroom suit, verbally, just to be nice. She has not contacted me to get this back since then, so I assumed that she didn’t want it. My wife and I are preparing to move at the end of the month, so I told my buddy to tell his wife that she needed to come get her stuff or it would be thrown out. She contacted me today to say that she would be getting her belongings this weekend. She also brought up the bedroom suit. Since she never contacted me about getting the furniture after I offered it, we started to use it and have made plans for it in our new place. She thinks that since I told her she could have it back that I have to give it back. I disagree because it was given to me at Christmas, and I can do with it what I please. I feel bad about promising it to her and not giving it back, but isn’t it my property now? I don’t want to get dragged into my buddies already messy divorce, but I don’t want to get rid of the bedroom suit. Its nothing special, a queen sized frame, 1 night stand and a dresser with a mirror. I guess my question is...If something is given to me as a gift, then is it mine to do with what I please? Thanks for any help

Something seems strange with your post. If she wants to take you to small claims for it, you will need to prove it was a gift, and she could easily argue you were storing it for her.

You offered to give it back, so just give it back. I'm sure she will need it since they are divorcing.

bigjj

Honestly it sounds like another item you "stored" for them and not a "gift". Good luck.
I dont have any physical proof of the furniture being given as a gift. Only proof is my wife and friend (her ex) word, and that doesnt do any good. Should have sold it when I had the chance :) , oh well. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">