• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Frivolous Small Claims Suits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Baylor_Mom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My soon to be ex-husband is suing my mother for $20 and some change for a certified letter that he sent her and for a stop payment on a lost house payment check.
Why would the court even allow such a frivolous suit to happen?
My mother is scared to death. She has kept very good records and has assured him that he is current even though he can't find a record of the lost check.
What does she need to do and is there anything that I can tell her to help her calm down about the whole thing. I told her I would go with her even though I never wanted to lay eyes on my husband again. Help! What can I tell her?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Gail in Georgia

People can sue for all sorts of reasons.

Help your mom out. Send him the $20 and some change and be done with it.

If it makes you feel better, send it all in pennies.

Gail

Baylor_Mom

Really?

is there any such law that allows someone to collect for sending another party a certified letter? That is what he is suing for. The only reason he is even harassing her is because we are at the beginning of what will surely be a very nasty divorce. He probably got our response to his interrogatories and requests for productions and wasnt happy with what my atorney had to say. This is typical behavior of his to reach out and hurt and harass the people I care about. I would never tell her to pay him. NEVER!

mommyof4

is there any such law that allows someone to collect for sending another party a certified letter? That is what he is suing for. The only reason he is even harassing her is because we are at the beginning of what will surely be a very nasty divorce. He probably got our response to his interrogatories and requests for productions and wasnt happy with what my atorney had to say. This is typical behavior of his to reach out and hurt and harass the people I care about. I would never tell her to pay him. NEVER!
Then off to court she goes (or not, in which case a default judgement can be entered resulting in the same result as if she had lost in court) :)

Creepin

$20 ??? ......wow....I can't believe someone would even bother.

I can't believe the courts allow it either:confused:

People can sue for all sorts of reasons.

Help your mom out. Send him the $20 and some change and be done with it.

If it makes you feel better, send it all in pennies.

Gail
Sounds like a plan. Although if it's in pennies there's no record of it. Catch 22.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">