• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fuel Company being unreasonable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daveinmaine

What is the name of your state? Maine

I ordered fuel for my house 2 months ago. A month later when it got cold my monitor heater was being run more and more and developed issues. I called a repair man and he came and cleaned it and replaced the burner at a cost of $500. Two days later it broke down again. I called the fuel company and discovered that they had delivered the wrong fuel. They came and pumped my tank and replace the fuel that was in the tank, but made no mention of my cost to have my heater cleaned and fixed. It was a few weeks before Xmas and I assumed that the heater needed to be cleaned anyways so I did not pursue it. Today I recieved a bill for the difference in price between the two fuels. Its only $90 but after shelling out $500 because of their mistake I do not want to pay them. How should I respond and do I have any legal footing?

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Maine

I ordered fuel for my house 2 months ago. A month later when it got cold my monitor heater was being run more and more and developed issues. I called a repair man and he came and cleaned it and replaced the burner at a cost of $500. Two days later it broke down again. I called the fuel company and discovered that they had delivered the wrong fuel. They came and pumped my tank and replace the fuel that was in the tank, but made no mention of my cost to have my heater cleaned and fixed. It was a few weeks before Xmas and I assumed that the heater needed to be cleaned anyways so I did not pursue it. Today I recieved a bill for the difference in price between the two fuels. Its only $90 but after shelling out $500 because of their mistake I do not want to pay them. How should I respond and do I have any legal footing?
pay it and no.

You Are Guilty

Well, as advised, you do owe the $90 difference to the oil company. On the other hand, I think you have a fairly strong argument that they owe you for the repairs to your heater, assuming you can prove the "wrong" oil is what caused the burner to go.

Thus, if you call the oil company and explain that while you'd be happy to pay the $90, it will have to wait until after you stop off at small claims court to file a claim for your broken heater, it may have the results you're after. (If not, pay the $90 and go to small claims and file the claim.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">