• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Furniture

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pnthr323

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca

4 years ago, a live-in girlfriend (now ex) and I purchased a couch. Her father went ahead on his own and paid our couch off. Two years ago I caught her cheating on me, so we broke up. She moved out and let me keep the couch and a few other things. We remained friends, a year later I along with most of my belongings I moved out of the house we had been living in. I since have moved my couch with me a couple of times including at one point paying for a few months of storage.
It's been 2 years since the ex and I broke up... Last month She has a falling out with her roommate, he moved out and took his couch so now she wants my couch. She has threatened to file criminal theft charges on me. She demands my couch is hers as she has proof of purchase.
Should I worry?
What should I do?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca

4 years ago, a live-in girlfriend (now ex) and I purchased a couch. Her father went ahead on his own and paid our couch off. Two years ago I caught her cheating on me, so we broke up. She moved out and let me keep the couch and a few other things. We remained friends, a year later I along with most of my belongings I moved out of the house we had been living in. I since have moved my couch with me a couple of times including at one point paying for a few months of storage.
It's been 2 years since the ex and I broke up... Last month She has a falling out with her roommate, he moved out and took his couch so now she wants my couch. She has threatened to file criminal theft charges on me. She demands my couch is hers as she has proof of purchase.
Should I worry?
What should I do?
Tell her to pound sand.

HomeGuru

What was the deal the father made when he paid the couch off?
How much did he pay and what if you paid the money back?

Antigone*

What was the deal the father made when he paid the couch off?
How much did he pay and what if you paid the money back?
It has been two years HG. Do you think a judge is really going to want to sort out the pots and pans of this break up?

Pnthr323

To:HG

There was no agreement with dummy's father. When our first bill came in her dad paid the whole thing off. Said he wouldn't accept money from us for it.

Antigone*

There was no agreement with dummy's father. When our first bill came in her dad paid the whole thing off. Said he wouldn't accept money from us for it.
You just went from normal poster to jerk:rolleyes:

Why did you have to sound like such an idiot?

BL

It's not criminal theft .If he files a criminal theft report ,ask that he be arrested for making a false report .

It would be a civil matter and the GF left the couch there , period .

Pnthr323

To: from greeced

1. Jr high called, wants nothing to do with this drama.

2. Only hole I dug was to bury that relationship. Apparently her crusty rotten hand is reaching through the dirt.

3. Being me is actually pretty good these days no need to brag, beautiful woman @ home, good job, happy, health... Governments kinda screwy but eh all is well.

& lastly, thanks for the comic relief I look forward to more.

Pnthr323

To:greecie

Jerk?
Im truly sorry if you were offended...
I really do think my ex was and now is proving to be a dummy.
You really do crack me up though, inlove comedy in the morning:D thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">