• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gambling

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Coco12534

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I got involved with someone with a gambling addiction and I need advice on filing a small claims case.
I have documentation showing bank transfers, his text message stating his sorrow that I got involved with him and that he will be paying me back, and his YouTube playlist clearly showing the thousands of slot machine videos he watches.
However, he has a text message from me threatening him(I've never hurt or threatened anyone in my life and it was merely out of anger because I trusted him)

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I got involved with someone with a gambling addiction and I need advice on filing a small claims case.
I have documentation showing bank transfers, his text message stating his sorrow that I got involved with him and that he will be paying me back, and his YouTube playlist clearly showing the thousands of slot machine videos he watches.
However, he has a text message from me threatening him(I've never hurt or threatened anyone in my life and it was merely out of anger because I trusted him)
Clicky clicky: http://www.flcourts.org/resources-and-services/family-courts/family-law-self-help-information/small-claims.stml

Be prepared for the other party to make a complaint for that threat. And really, what are we talking about here? You said, "Dude, pay me back or I'm going to sue your behind", or ... something a little more sinister?

justalayman

I have documentation showing bank transfers, his text message stating his sorrow that I got involved with him and that he will be paying me back,
do you have any proof any of the money you gave him was a loan? That is what it takes to prevail in court. The fact you transferred money to this party and that he regretted doing so and even an after thought that he would pay you back does not make the money loaned money.

Oh, and the threatening text message;

depending on what it was and how credible it appears, it could be a crime for which you could sit in jail for.

Coco12534

No proof it was a loan. I trusted and gave, spent, and lost over $18k, lost my job, and another $120k in debt from hospital bills.
He clearly has a gambling addiction and took advantage of me but that isn't a crime.

Coco12534

It was the perfect set up and I guess all you could do is let it go, move on, and let Kharma make him pay someday.

Proserpina

No proof it was a loan. I trusted and gave, spent, and lost over $18k, lost my job, and another $120k in debt from hospital bills.
He clearly has a gambling addiction and took advantage of me but that isn't a crime.
Ooof that's a tough and expensive lesson to learn! :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">